Ovarian Cancer Community
??Ovarian cyst---Could it be cancer??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

??Ovarian cyst---Could it be cancer??

My daughter is 13 years old and has been c/o abdominal pain for about 2-3 months.  After doing an ultrasound, the doctor said they found a small ovarian cyst.  The thing that worries me is that she still has not started her menstural cycles.  Does that increase the chance of it being CA??  Her doctor is suppose to be following up with a gyn tomorrow and will then call me and let me know what the next step is.  I am just really worried.  Any advice??
My daughter had a large(13cm)ovarian cyst at 17,i know thats older than your daughter but she had only had about 4 periods previous to this. I dont know if not having any periods at all makes a difference,no doubt one of the other more knowledgable ladies of this forum can answer this.I just wanted to say her cyst was benign and she did not loose her ovary. This happened over 6 years ago and she has not had another cyst since.Try not to worry too much(i know i did)and hope all goes well.Dawn
Ovarian cysts are directly related to ovulation which is why pre/post menopausal woman are more at risk and the b/c pill is used to shrink/prevent cysts from developing. What a frightening thing for you to be going through I am so sorry for you. Please keep us informed

Anna x
ps,

There is no suppose about it. If you dont here back promtly you get on to them and PUSH PUSH PUSH PUSH! These things have to be dealt with quickly and very often with our boot up their backside

Anna x
I agree put a boot to them docs...its not normal to not have a period,if that was so we wouldnt have them right. my daughter is going thru the same thing so I feel ya. I had to call her doctor and lite a fire under her tale to take the appropriate steps. let us know how it goes.
Do everything you can to find out as QUICKLY as possible.  The post mentioning cysts being typically related to ovulating women, is a BIG DEAL.  The fact that your daughter is only 13 & not ovulating yet should be a red flag for the drs. to order tests right away.  You need to DEMAND an appt. w/ a GYNOncologist, just to be safe.  If they think you're over reacting & won't refer you, get a 2nd opinion.  It could easily turn out to be nothing of great concern, but I'm sure your daughter is worth it...especially the thought of preserving her fertility in any way possible.  I'll be praying for your daughter to be well & for you to have strength to help her.  Peace.
I have polycystic ovaries.  This accounts for the periods that come once every three or four months. My doctor did not address the severity of this disorder initially.  He just said, get on the pill and don't worry it's common.  

Bunch of ****! I got off the pill after I lost my father.  The pill was making me even more emotional than I already was.  Unfortunately, after being off of it for almost a year, I am now sufferring from a hemmoragic cyst on my right ovary.  

It causes severe pain in the abdomen.  So severe, that even moving is not an option.  Because of this, I did more research and I discovered when cysts in the ovaries are not treated they can enlarge and hemmorage or they can cause the ovary to twist, requiring immediate surgery and sometimes this condition alone can lead to ovarian cancer.  Many times, it also means that getting pregnant is very difficult.  

My mother always looked down on being on the pill. She thought it meant that I was too sexually active.  The truth is, the pill is the only thing that any doctor can prescribe for me right now to reduce/help the cysts to resolve themselves.  

Then, there's the pain from the hemmorage right now.  I'm taking vicodin, but I also have the nausea and vommitting, which always gets a stupid, "Are you pregnant?" query.  

So...DO GET THE ULTRASOUND AND FIND OUT EXACTLY WHAT IT IS. Stick to the treatment and when they don't explain to you everythin-- ask questions and if they're too busy -- like my doc...research and advocate for yourself and the ones you love.  Afterall, doctors may know a lot about medicine but only you and those you love know you best.

Take Care  
hi my daughter who is 24 also has pcos. She had a large 14cm cyst removed when she was 17 and luckily no more cysts have appeared. She also gets alopicia(sp),going through her 3rd bout now.Her consultant put her on melformin(i think thats how its spelt)its a drug for diabetes which according to him was found to be successful on treating pcos.Might be worth you looking into that.She no longer takes any medication and has resolved herself to have 3/4 periods a year.Dawn