Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Ovarian cyst/mass

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Ovarian cyst/mass

I am 39 years old with good health until a month ago when I had really bad pelvic and abdominal pain, went to my Gino and he sent me for a ultrasound where then I was informed by my dr that I had a 3 cm cyst on my right ovary. He put me on antibiotics and sent me home.  I was feeling fine until about 4 days later when I started my period then 4 days into my period I started to get very bad cramps when I would try to go tithe bathroom. Even sharp pains in my rectum. I decided to go back to my dr. He sent me for another ultrasound. This time showing that the same ovary has a 6 cm mass....I am suppose to go back to him tomorrow to see what he wants me to do.  He is saying to get on birth control pills and antibiotics again. I am so scared. Just wondering if anyone has had any symptoms like the ones I have? Please help
Hi there
thank you for your question.
if you have a cyst that has grown from 3 cm to 6 cm , it needs to be removed surgically.
Birthcontrol pills will not help.
the use of birth control pills traditionally is to suppress cysts of ovulation that are painful.

cysts of ovulation come and go each month. A cyst that has not gone away is not a cyst of ovulation.
I hope all works out. If your doctor is reluctant to intervene, you should get a second opinion
take care