Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Ovarian cyst.
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Ovarian cyst.

I have had my left ovary removed due to a cyst that had ruptured.  I now have had a cyst on my right ovary, that has been there for 5 years.  I get ultrasounds every year to check on the cyst and it is still there.  I am premenopausal, and have had heavy bleeding, and increased abdominal girth, low back  pain, which is starting to worry me.  My gyn said that the cyst is nothing to worry about.  Should I get a second opinion since it has been there for 5 years?  Can the cyst develop into ovarian cancer?  
Related Discussions
242604_tn?1328124825
Hi There
if you are having pain and have a persistent ovarian cyst, surgical removal is definately an option. Cysts that are unchanging are rarely malignant, however they can twist and cause pain.

if you have any family history of ovarian  cancer, that is a reason to consider the prophylactic removal of your ovaries and fallopian tubes after completion of your family
take care
4 Comments
Blank
im 16 years old and have a ovarian cyst 15cm by 9cm :( what are the chances f my losin my left ovary ( its not cancerous)
Blank
Dar964:

I have had my cyst for 2 - 3 years and its the size of a grapefruit. There is a slim chance of a ovarian cyst becoming cancerous. (1 in 1,000) woman will get a cancerous cyst. I'm hoping I don't get my ovary removed :( It sounds like its a non-functional cyst. Where they continue to grow over time and don't go away on there own. There is nothing to worry about :)
Blank
Have you tried taking birth control for your cyst??
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Chemotherapy Tracker
Chemotherapy Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Blank
Ovulation Tracker
Ovulation Tracker