Ovarian Cancer Community
Ovarian cysts look Like Endometrioma? Surgery - what to expect?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I am going to have a surgery on 2/14. I just my doctor this morning for my pre-ops appt. He told me these cysts look like endometrioma type. The sizes are 2.7 and 3.3 cm. I have no symtoms (symptoms) and discovered these cysts during my pregancy and had a healthy baby in 11/2005. These cysts didn't grow during my preg and are growing now. I just had an ultrasound this morning. It shows only 1 cyst around 5 cm.

1)Is there anyone who has a similar case and turn out cancerous type?
2)what to expect after surgery?

I am 31 years old....Thanks so much
Hi there -

Wow -- we have a lot in common.  I am also having surgery on 2/14 and I am also 31 years old.  I have just one cyst, diagnosed at my annual exam in 2/2006, four months after the birth of my twins.  My cyst has persisted for a year and is about 4 x 6 x 7 cm.  I am worried about the possiblity of cancer because the cyst developed, persisted, and grew during a time that my ovaries should be pretty quiet (while breastfeeding twins).  I can't offer you any information or advice, but I wanted to say "hi".  

Kristen  
Hi, how do you feel? Hopefully, everything will be ok for both of us.
Hello--I had an endometrioma that size removed in November.  I went home that evening--they make you stay until you can pee.  They didn't do a biopsy (which they assured me they would), but apparently it looked okay.  From what I have read, it is very rare for those to be malignant.  I was told before surgery that it would take about 30-45 minutes, but they found a lot of endometriosis (on pelvic organs, bowel, etc) and took out a lot of that too, they weren't expecting it to be so bad.  So the surgery took about 3 hours.  It took me about 2 weeks to get back to normal.  (The worst pain was caused by the gas they inflate your pelvic with, the day after the surgery--but it only lasted a few hours.)  I was having a lot of pain for years before the surgery though, so hopefully your endometriosis will not be so bad and you'll get over the surgery sooner.  I had surgery on Thursday and was told by the recovery nurse I could go back to work on Monday, but there was no way I could have worked that soon.  You should probably ask your doctor what he will do if he does find a lot of endometriosis, how aggressive he will be in removing it, etc.  In your case, if you're not having symptoms, it could possibly do more harm than good to do extensive surgery, because then you risk getting more adhesions and other complications.  However, if you have so much endometriosis that it is distorting your organs, it might be hard for you to get pregnant again unless they are removed.  So anyway, those are some things you might want to talk with your doctor about, if you haven't already.  Also, you might ask him to write a prescription for post-op pain medicine so you don't have to get it filled on the way home.  Good luck, I hope everything goes well for you.
Surgery Cysters on Valentines Day!  Keep each other company till then Ladies, this is one of the most nerve-racking times!  The watchful wait stinks but pre-op worries are worse!  At this point you don't really know what your dealing with and in your case Llulu, your Dr. does not either.  The speculation that it is endo is sound given how common it is but that is all it is at this point.  99% of us have benign masses that can be removed.  Endo, as many who deal with it will tell you, is a battle.  I was a lucky 99 percenter in that I had two benign tumors, niether of which was endo with it's high rate of reccurrance.  
     Hope you both drop by Cyber Party later.  Take Care.  MV
Thanks. Is it common that cancerous cysts have less symtoms (symptoms) than the begnin?
Good Morning Llulu,
    Can't answer your question but in my case, I had no symptoms and both aliens were benign.  Likewise, many of the other 99% Gals had many miserable symptoms.
hi ! my name is nancy and i am 35 years old and i am haveing every symthoms of pregnancy and i am getting bigger in my lower stomach i am feeling thumps and my breast are getting bigger and hurting and hurt in my lower back  and i am nasuea  and i get dizzy and the dr. are tring to say that i am not pregnant there telling me that i have two cyst on my overy and they are on the left side 27x9x21mm volumm me of 2.6 cubic centimeters and right side 35x23x30 volume of 7.2 but we seen something that looks like a head with out the out sideing of the skin and we heard a strong heart beat in that spot and there,s red spots on my ultra sound  does a cyst make you have symthoms of pregnancy and i feel like little butterflies and i am spotting and i have been sence actually DEC.  there small