Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Ovarian cysts or what?

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Ovarian cysts or what?

Dear Dr,

First of all let me thank you so much for reading this.  

I am in abit of a slump.  Although this may sound trivial im trying to be a detective with my doctors to find what might be going on.

In march/april of this year I started experiencing burning scalp pain, and noticable hair loss.  The thinning on my scalp seemed to occur fast.

I visited my family doc who has done repeated testing on my thyroid, my immune system you name it.  All within perfectly normal limmits

My next visit was to my obgyn who has done a complete hormone panel on me which I should have the results n front of me next week.  She called me with the results to say that everything looked good nothing jumped at her but my testosterone was normal high range and she mentioned something about LSH and possible PCOS

Now my question and sorry to ramble, I have pain in both ovaries lasting a few months, comes and goes usually around the cycle maybe a week and a half before.  I am having lots of discharge which is clear.  My breasts and especially my nipples are very sore and hurt,like I am nursing a baby, but no discharge from them.  They appear red and sore.  

So with that I ask you, does ovarian cancer give early symptoms of hair loss and breast nipple tenderness?

Everyone seems to be stumped as me and would love to find an answer - I always in the back of my mind worry about ovarian cancer.

As for the PCOS I have not been diagnosed yet and I am not overweight at all nor do I have tons of facial hair, but then again all this is fairly new within 3 or so months. I am 37
Hello it sounds like you have had a wonderful and thoughtful workup. Your symptoms do not immediately make me think of ovarian cancer. I wonder if you could have a dermatological condition that is involving your scalp. I would suggest a referral to a dermatologist for a careful examination. Pain in the abdomen can be from many things gyn, bladder, or bowel. Check in with your Ob gyn to get her input on where she thinks your pain might be coming from based on her physical examination. Good luck!
Thank you for your reply.  I see a derm at the cleveland clinic in two months, in the mean time hair is getting thinner by the minute.

I had a hormone panel that showed slightly high normal testosterone and  a small suggestion of PCOS.

I do have painful breasts nipples especially like I am nursing a baby which im not, My youngest is two years old.  My suspicion is off hormones - but I always wondered if ovarian cancer could show itself with hairloss.  I know the body is a strange and delicate thing -

Thanks so much for your resonse.
OOps Dr I forgot to add that my scalp looks fine no inflamation (inflammation) or redness which makes me feel its coming from something internal.  Physician looked at scalp breifly and said it looked fine.  He was stumped with the breast nipple tenderness and the hair loss.  Both ovaries ache.  In the past I have had cysts this is nt new for me.  :o(
Hi Purselady,
You really have had a great evaluation. It has been my experience that breast tenderness can occur from stress. Probably the stress hormone secretion from the hypothalamus cross connections with the secretion of other brain hormones like prolactin. However, having said that, it is important to have a good breast exam, serum prolactin level, and even a mammogram if you have not had one. If all that is normal, a tight bra or chest wrap can help with those symptoms.

The scalp can refelct dermatitis problems. I would go with your dermatologist's advice. Often they will prescribe a shampoo for yeast.
G'Evening,thank you for your time and patience to read this. At the end of August I was in the car and doubled over with pain in my lower abdimon and back,,sorta like menstrual cramps accompanied by a high fever roughly around 102.7. I waited out that night and didnt go to the E.R. Called my family doctor the next day with continual pain and fever,she then sent me to the E.R. thought I was septic. At the E.R. they did a catscan of my intestines/bowels..nothing. My white blood count was elevated. They sent me home and said to come back for exploratory surgery it this persisted, I opted NOT to do that. I have been trying to monitor when these occurances happen and it seems like it is the day after or at the most 2days ,after making love to my husband. Lasts for 2 days til I'm back to normal.It is miserable,and the pain is unbearable at times. I have NO health insurance,my place of employment doesnt offer it. So I'd like to find out where to go without paying for unnecessary testings;atleast to the right specialist is what I mean. Your advice is much appreciated in stearing me in the right direction..OH I forgot to mention,,I had cervical cancer about ten years ago,,underwent 63 radiation treatments and 2 radium rod implants. If that helps.Had a pap smear done after this all began 2 months ago and that came back ok. Thank goodness for the Healthy Women's program!!I'm 45 now.Again thnx for your time and help. Take care and God bless!