Ovarian Cancer Community
Ovarian cysts

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Ovarian cysts

I'm 44 years, normal periods and normal paps..   I'm noticed in my 40s that my periods have gotten lighter and shorter.  This past period sept 6th was much heavier and after my period was over had mild cramps like I was getting my period again. Went in for a pap and my doctor sent me for a ultrasound and transvagina.  My dr (who is a personal friend).  Told me I have a small ovarian cyst 2.9 cm on my left and 2 small fibroids.  He told me I could go on a birth control pill, which bcps and me do not agree, expect heavy periods for 5-10 years.   Down the road could consider a d and c or ablation, but for right now follow up in 3 months.  Then it dawned on me this weekend that my pain is on the right and my cyst is on the left.  My cramps are mild just annoying take a few Advil here and there. Getting my period next week.  Calling my dr today, to find out about the pain on the right but cyst on the left.  I would like to try an all natural way.   The joys of being a women.   Any suggestions for me
Avatar_dr_f_tn
HI,
Birth control pills are the right way to go. This will help resolve the ovarian cyst and take care of the related symptoms. D and C or ablation is done for heavy periods resulting from endometrial hyperplasia and not for ovarian cysts. If you want to go the natural way then you can wait for a spontaneous regression of the ovarian cyst. This will require follow up with frequent ultrasound scans.
Hope this helps. Take care and good luck.
Thank you so much for your reply