Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Ovarian mass and dermoid

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Ovarian mass and dermoid

I am 41 and been experiencing mild to moderate left sided pelvic pain, and went for ultrasound.
Findings:
The right ovary is 4.6 x 2.7 x 2cm, containing a 2.6cm hyperechoic and shadowing mass. (Abdominal CT showed a dermoid on my right ovary 18 months ago, at that time 2cm.)
The left ovary is 5.5 x 4.5 x 4.9 cm, containing a complex mass with a small amount of residual ovarian tissue. Although this could be a complex cyst, the possibility of dermoid or endometrioma cannot be completely excluded.
Impression:
suspected 2.6cm dermoid
complex left ovarian mass, this could represent a cyst, dermoid, or endometrioma.

My questions:
What is the likely course of action based upon my ultrasound?
What does "containing a small amount of residual ovarian tissue mean?" (I am so fearful of losing my ovaries)
Is it possible to remove a 2.6cm dermoid and leave the ovary?

Thanks in advance!

Hi there,
it sounds like you have ovarian cysts that may be related to endometriosis. These can surely cause pain. If you do not want to consider surgery to remove the cysts (there is a risk of needing to remove the whole ovary), you should ask your doctor about medical management of endometriosi. Usually the treatment involves suppressing the ovaries with a monthly shot called Lupron (thee is also a 3 month form depo-lupron).

If there is a question that this is not endometriosis, your doctor might suggest a laparoscopy to look directly at the cysts and even biopsy them
Y's it is possible to remove cysts -dermoid or endometriomas, or functional cysts and preserve the oavry
best wishes
Hi, I am 51 years old and had a spotting in June. I went for my yearly visit to the mid-wives and they though everything looked great.  I haven't had a period in 2 years.  She felt and enlarged lymph node in my left thigh. She sent me for a uterin biposy.  The Dr sent everything looked great but I reported back pain, pelic pain and freguent bathroom trips.  She did a bladder sample everthing was fine but she order an vaginal ultersound for the end of the summer.  THe pain has worsened the end of the summer is here and friday I had the ultrasound and there is a large mass on my left ovary. Nothing in the uteris. I am going for a complete hyster. quickly because of my age.  She did say "it did not look bad"  What do you think?
Chachijp