Ovarian Cancer Community
Ovarian mass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Ovarian mass

I recently went to the emergency room with what I thought was appenditices.  The CT scan showed a huge pelvic mass-6"x3". I had a D&C, pap, blood work, including a CA 125, which all came out normal. (CA 125 was 31).  The ultrasound indicated the mass was on the ovary. The dr. is saying because of its size, it is most likely cancer.  Surgery will be scheduled in the upcoming week.  What are the chances of it not being cancer? I am 45, have never been pregnant, and have had no other symtoms (symptoms) associated with ovarian cancer (altho, from what I hear, there usually are none). Thank you for your assistance.
1 Comment
Avatar n tn
My understanding is that until a biopsy is done, you cannot tell whether a cyst is malignant or not.