Ovarian Cancer Community
Ovary size

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Ovary size

I just wondered what the normal size of an ovary is..does anyone know?  I keep going over and over what my doctor said in my head but at the first appt. I was so shocked to hear the word cancer that I really didn't hear anything else, so needless to say I couldn't think of anything let alone any questions. He made reference to my right ovary being 2 cm and my left one being 7 cm...just wondering what "normal" really is.

Thank you for all of your input, everyone has really helped to put my mind at ease a little.
normal ovaries measure 3-5 cm long, 1.5-3.0 cm wide and 1.0-1.5 cms thick.
Thank you so much, that really puts my mind at ease.
One more question, I had my US on Thursday and started my cycle on Saturday, could that have caused my ovary to be enlarged?
My doctor's papers say my right ovary contains a complex cyst measuring20 x13 mm in outline, mostly filled with echogenic debris and / or hemorrhage with the overall measurements of 32x25x 30 mm. a small 10mm cyst in the left cyst in the left ovary is noted with the left ovary measuring 27x 11x18mm. There was no cul-de-sac fluid. CA 125 test is 10 ml.  Can you please tell me what  all this means, please?
Sweetbone7, Your Ca-125 at 10 ml is normal. Sounds like you probably have a small hemmorhagic cyst which are benign in nature. The echogenic debris is probably blood. This is caused by the egg releasing from the ovary and breaking a small blood vessel in the process. The sac seals and you have a hemmorhagic cyst. They usually resolve themselves in 2-3 months time, though sometimes it takes a bit more. I missed a period last Sept. and the cyst resolved around March of this year. Gone in May. The other small 10mm cyst is probably going to be the next egg released. No cul-de-sac fluid is normal, though after ovulation, it's not unusual to see a small amount on ultrasound.

Your doc will probably recommend a follow up ultrasound in 2 months and instructions for you to call if you get pain.

lionsfan, yes, one ovary can be temporarily enlarged due to cyclical changes. Did your doctor mention seeing a cyst on ultrasound or any other abnormalities?
wht if you just leave it alone what could happen
i just had a ct scan showed this...
" occasional scattered diverticula of the left colon.  dominant 4-cm right ovary, comtaining a 15-mm cyst...
i had a hysterectomy in dec but they left the ovaries... i feel the pain        of this cyst and ive made a follow up with my gyn.. should i be worried or is this pretty common??