Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
PELVIS/TRANSVAGINAL REPORT

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

PELVIS/TRANSVAGINAL REPORT

I went to have Pelvic/Transvaginal Ultrasound and these are the results:

The uterus measures 7x 4.5 X 5.6 cm.  The uterus is anteverted and anteflexed.  There is an anterior fibroid measures 1.6 cm.  There is moderate free fluid in the cul-de sac.  The endometrial strip measures 7 mm

The right ovary measure 2.8x2.4x1.5 cm.  It contains a thick-walled cyst that measure 2 cm.  Doppler examination of the rim reveals a resistive index of (  )  I suspect it is a corpus leteum.

The left ovary measures 2.5x1.7x3.1 cm.  It is normal in appearance with small follicles.  Doppler examination show a resistive index of 0.45.  There is rim enhancement of a complex cyst in the left ovary that measures 1 cm.

IMPRESSION:  small collapsed cyst within the ovaries bilaterally are probably corpus lutheum or hermorragic cysts.  Moderate free fluid in the cul-de sac is out of proportion to the findings noted and I would consider CT.  Incidental note is made of mild fullness of the right renal collecting system.

I need to understand exactly what that means.

Please help.

Thanks.
Hi Rosegorgeous,
it is essentially a normal report

-uterus sounds normal, a little fibroid, no big deal
-ovaries sound normal with normal looking cysts of ovulation
-mild fullness in the kidney will be seen if you have a full bladder
the only issue is more fluid than normal is seen freely in the pelvis.
this could be a reaction to ovulation. Some women transiently have fluid and next time you check, it has been absorbed. Sometimes there is something else going on unrelated to the ovaries and uterus such as cirrhosis of the liver which can cause abnormal fluid in the abdomen called ascites.

It comes down to context:
if you got this ultrasound because you had a sudden sharp pain about midcycle that was scary and lasted a few days - you probably ovulated and had some irritation of the lining of the abdomen. That is normal, you can get fluid from that. It will be gone in a few weeks.

if you got this ultrasound because you are chronically ill, have chronic pain, have abnormal liver tests and so on, doing a CT scan to look at your liver and upper abdomen makes sense.

best wishes