Ovarian Cancer Community
PET Scan

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

PET Scan

Has anyone had a PET scan?  In your experience, it it truely more accurate than the CT scan for detecting the location and progression fo the disease?
I had a Pet scan to determine where my recurrance was located.  It did show areas of increased uptake, it showed that it was cancer.  Additionally it identified several areas on the colon that had increased activity, uptake of the glucose and these were removed.  So yes I would say they work.  
Avatar n tn
I would say they are great when your numbers go up and a Cat Scan can't find anything. I had a Pet at one time and they didn't do my head. Good one. That's where it was.

I just don't understand why they don't do a Pet Scan on women that are worried that they may have cancer when a cyst like growth has shown up on a Cat Scan. Cancer is a glucose feeder and that is what it shows.
yeah I found this one website that says PET scans are still misunderstood and under utilized.  Even Medicare is authorizing PET scans (for cancer) for almost all reasons including progress, diagnosis, recurrance, etc.