Ovarian Cancer Community
Pain after hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Pain after hysterectomy

I began having pain in my lower right side about about 3 months ago. My doctor said that I had fibroids and cysts on my ovaries. He was supposed to do a complete hysterectomy. He only removed the uterus, this was done vaginally on 1-11-06. I am still having the pain in my right side and I have told him about this pain, more that once. He keeps telling me that I need to give it time, and sometimes it takes a full 6-8 weeks to get over surgery. I can understand that it takes time to recover, but this is the same pain as before my surgery. Is this normal ? Has this ever happened to anyone of you out there ?
I too had pains in my lower right side my.I have a long history of ovarian cysts..My Dr swore that it wasn't my ovaries that it was something else.Kidney's,bowels,etc.Well after me hounding and hounding he listened and did a Total Hyst. He took EVERYTHING and put me on hormones.I take Premarin .0625.I no longer have those pains in the right side.I do have pain but its only from the surgery.My surgery was on Feb 3rd 2006.I am still recovering but I feel tons better so far as far as the ovaries go.Sorry I don't have any advice.Why did he say he would take it all and then he only took the uterus? Or did I misunderstand something?  Wish I could help more..

*Tonya*
TAH/BSO
02-03-06

Thanks for responding. My doctor had originally told me that I had scar tissue on my ovaries and to keep me from having to go through pain after my hysterectomy he was going to remove the ovaries too. After my surgery, he told my mother that, my ovaries looked fine. I have another appt on 2-16-06, I see what he has to say then.
I am sorry to hear that,my ovaries looked fine too. Thats why my Dr hated to remove them but I know my body and I know what causes the pain.I would insist on him/her to tell you why he didn't remove them.Just my opinion.I wouldn't think the pain would be any different weither they removed it all or not.I had 17 staples. 7" insision but I am ok and its only been 1week.BUT I have taken it very easy.Dont do anything but go to the bathroom and cook when I have too.So everyone is different.I did what my DR sais even though it is VERY hard to obey what he says.. ;)
Penny, I just wanted to say sorry.If I sounded hateful in my earlier post.I am on my pain meds right now.Didnt mean to sound ugly.Please forgive me.I hope you find something out soon..

*Tonya*
TAH/BSO
02-03-06
I'm so sorry that you have to go trought pain. I know what are you talking about, I had my hysterectomy feb. 2005 and 3 months after the pain in my lower right side came back again, I tried to give it some time but it didn't go away. Finally I went back to my doc and I told him that I want to know what is wrong before taking any medicacion. After many tests a couple weeks ago he discovered a what he believes is a big cyst in my left ovary (i forgot to tell you that i kept them).
It is very frustraring to go trought pain and not knowing exactly was wrong, this is such a long journey and i hope that tomorrow something would be more clear with the ultrasound results.
I just want to tell you that i feel the same way you do, but don't give up and ask or demmand your doctor for more tests and tell them that you want to get to the bottom of the problem.
Good luck and God bless you.
Thanks for your comments. I see my doc again on Thursday, I will find out more then.