Ovarian Cancer Community
Pain caused by ovarian cyst or pid???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Pain caused by ovarian cyst or pid???

I was recently diagnosed with pelvic inflammatory disease. After 7 days on antibiotics, there was no improvement as I was still in extreme pain. I went back to my gyn, and an ultra sound was performed which revealed a 5cm complex septated cyst on my left ovary. I was perscribed pain killers and anti inflammatory tablets. After finishing the anti biotics I seemed fine, the pain had disappeared. Now two weeks on, the pain has reappeared, lower back pain, frequent urination, pain during sexual intercourse (on  my right side, not on my left where the cysts is). I;m just very confused whether the pid has returned, or if it is the cyst causing the symptoms. Any ideas???
A cyst can cause the exact symptoms that you've described.  Having pain on the opposite side is quite common and it is known as referred pain.

Has your doctor mentioned any plan of action regarding the cyst?
I also have complex cyst (right ovary is enlarged golfball size) with same report,ovarian cyst can cause all of your symptoms your describing.I'm also wondering about pid,I have had many bouts of uti's and vaginal infections in the past that didnt respond to antibotics,what were your symptoms of pelvic infection? As I understand they are chronic or acute? I know they are veryyyyyyy painful! best wishes!
Hey girl I feel your pain !!! I have bilateral septated masses. Mine are alot bigger than yours but even so they can cause alot of pain. In my understanding the location of the cysts could put pressure on your bladder or ureters causeing that gotta go p problem. I went and got a copy of my CT scan report and went directly to researching the info on there. GO GET IT!!!! look for yourself....its yours and you paid for it. Sometimes the docs dont give you all the details hun....sorry to say that but its true. A small percentage of these cysts are cancerous as many will tell you. But be your own advocate!!! here is my tid bit of advice to you.....you have had an ultrasound and found a septaded cyst....now its time for a CT scan for more info....what is the attenuation of the cyst? are the walls thin or enhanced? blood supply? is it multilocular? these things are important to know not just for the doctor but for you as well. educate yourself on what to know and what to ask.If the Cyst is still there on the CT and still 5 cm or better ask to see an gyn-oncologist. it doesnt mean you have cancer but they have 3 more years of training in womans health and procedures for these types of things. I would have let my doctors convince me I had IBS or gas or something if I hadnt learned to be my own advocate.Dont suffer with pain and dont let them convince you that these cyst dont cause pain THEY DO. best of luck and get copies of everything!!! if your not satisfied with the answers you get then get another opinion..........bug
I'm going back for another ultra sound in April, I was told by the gyn that they are quite common and that they wanted to monitor it before making any descions about sugery. As for the pid. I had the first infection in September, I noticed i needed the toilet all the time, and I was even walking up in the night to urinate. I also had abdominal pain and strange discharge. I'm seeing my doctor on wednesday, as I am scared that the pid my have recurred and i'm mistaking the pain for my cyst.
I just have to comment one more time on doctors telling patients that cysts don't cause back pain or any other pain.  The doctor that runs the Q&A portion of this forum told that specifically to a patient about a month ago.  The doctor said that the cysts would not be causing her back pain and to seek medical attention for a possible slipped disc or other back-related issues.  So, there you have it.  The DOCTOR that runs the OVARIAN CANCER FORUM Q&A said it.  What shall we do with this doctor gals??!!Lilly