Ovarian Cancer Community
Pain in left leg, groin, hip, lower left back..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I have had shooting pains in my groin.  It woke me up last night at 5am.  The pain also goes down my left leg and is now in my lower left back.  When I don't have shooting pains in my groin, there is a dull ache.  Went to the DR. today and she thinks I may have kidney stones.  Could this be ovarian cyst?  The pains increase during ovulation and during my period.  I have had them for the last several months and my periods have been irregular. I have no constipation.  Has anyone had these symptoms?
The doc wants me to get a CT scan and I'm waiting for them to call me to schedule the apt.  Motrin in the meantime.  Thanks for your comments
Yes I have the same problem. I have pain In my groin left leg back and abdomin (abdomen).This pain also followed my period. yes it can be a cyst ask your doc for an ultrasound to. I have endometreosis and adenomyosis I also had cysts as well. Make sure you doc is familar with gyno problems. Many are just good for birth and paps smears.
YES, YES, YES a cyst can do this. As the cyst grows it puts pressure on the nerves in the low back and such thus causing them to shoot pains everywhere.

I am going thru the same thing, a CT scan confirmed a cyst. Though its smaller than most, it still causes the same problems.

A CT will let you know for sure. Good luck and keep me posted.

:)
I had posted this last week sometime, but on the doctor question portion of this forum a patient asked the doctor if cysts could cause back pain.  This doctor flat-out said she very much doubted it and to seek medical treatment for a slipped disc or back problems.  This doctor is not doing ANYONE ANY favors with a response like that.  Apparently she has never experienced our situations.  I replied to the doctor to read all of these posts for which about 90% have back/leg/groin pain.  I have never gotten a response back.  Great, huh?
Thank you so much for your responses.  The Dr. also told me that I could have a slipped disc or kidney stones.  My CT is now scheduled for Friday and I just can't wait because I am just miserable.  Trying to keep up with the kids, make dinner, help with homework, etc., etc., is all killing me.  I will let you know my results when I get them.  Thanks so much for the support! God Bless.
Yeah, I got the kidney stone thing too.  All's I can say is be your own advocate, get the written report from all of your tests b/c the doctors don't tell you everything that's on them.  My Dr. said I had a small cyst and a little fibroid.  Got the report and although it was about what he said, it mentioned the adenomyosis, lyoemoa (or whatever it is) - fibroid and cyst.  It's just all there for your to read and research yourself.  That is what we need to do - be our own doctors.  Good luck - I really feel your pain (get some pain meds - I'm taking vicoprofen and it does take the edge off; sometimes it takes the pain away for a couple hours).  Take good care. Lilly
I had a large lump in my stomach that I thought was JUST a hernia.  I am a small woman and I lift alot of heavy stuff.  I got a pain in my lower left back area that was so bad I was crying in church one day.  That is what got me to go to the Dr. where after a whirlwind of tests over a 3 day period I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer.  My ovaries were 11 cm and 14 cm.  I am 50 and post menopausal and they should have been around 2 centimeters. Run to your nearest female Dr and get checked ASAP.  They don't call ovarian cancer the diesease that whispers for nothing. I like my oncologist but I am learning that female doctors take us more seriously.  Male doctors just don't get it sometimes.
I'm glad you found a good female doctor, but my experience is that they are the same as male doctors.  I think it's a class they take in med school - "Lack of Compassion/Hearing 101".  And from reading all of the posts on this forum for over a month now, I do NOT think ovarian cancer is silent.  It is just completely blown off for something else, like IBS, a slipped disc, etc. Med schools need to take a very quick and strong stand on these issues and then gynos need to go back to med school!  Lilly
I have been very lucky.  When I moved to Nashville I found a wonderful GP through a referral.  She happens to be a woman but she has understood things my male Drs never did.  IBS during your period for instance. She never makes me feel like I'm nuts and she always gives me a hug when I leave.  My oncologist is a guy but he is the most compassionate man I have ever met.  Who knew, a man that can actually listen patiently. I see him every chemo day and he sits there and listens and answers questions and he never acts like he is in a hurry or looks at his watch like some doctors. My urologist is another story. I think his mama told him he was special one to many times. Overal I have been very lucky but if you are not happy with your doctors remember they work for you and you can fire them.  This **** is hard enough without putting up with attitude from people who are suppossed to be professionals. Ovarian cancer is pretty rare and in the early stages it can look like alot of things. Lets face it if you took your car in for work and they told you first thing that you needed a new engine without telling you that it could be a few 99 cent "o" rings you'd shoot him. I guess mine were so big by time I went to the doctor it was an easy enough diagnosis.  Good luck to you
For the past few days I have been having severe hip pain (I have Osteopinia so I called my doctor).  She took a bone density scan and indicated that I have actually gained bone mass so it's probably arthritis related.  Fast forwarding to yesterday - I started having pain in not only my hip, but my lower back (more like the tailbone), my groin area and down my leg on the left side.  I have a service I can call through my insurance company so at 3:00 am when I could no longer tolerate the pain I called the hotline.  The nurse told me that I should within the next three hours be at someone's hospital emergency room because it sounded like, based on her putting the symptoms in a computer that I may have kidney stones.  Well ladies, I must tell you, there is nothing about my kidneys that is giving me a problem!  I have NO kidney pain whatsoever!  This morning I called my primary care physician and will see her at noon.  I decided to look on the computer after I spoke with her nurse because she slipped and said "sounds like a sciatic nerve" and I found your comments and how blessed I am to have found them!  I plan on printing your comments and taking them with me this afternoon.  God forbid there is something serious going on, but I would certainly rather have an accurate diagnosis sooner than later if what you were finally diagnosed with is true for me!  As a result of your postings, I will be equipped to have the doctor consider other things as opposed to ruling in one direction.  Thank you ladies and I will let you know how things turn out.
Are you allowed to tell me what doctors you go to? Thank you!
In my experience female gyno's are far too insensitive.  Its as if they say "I have the same parts so I know what hurts it & how it hurts."  They touch & test me roughly.  Whereas the male doctors seem to take the approach of "I've studied it but can not really relate to it."  So they tend to be more cautious & gentle with me.  They also seem to ask more questions & let me explain things in detail.  Its like they are really interested in learning about what I'm going thru.  Whereas female doctors act like they already know, & I dont have to tell them anything about my symptoms.
I have excruiating pain in my right groin area, down my right leg (hurts to even drive) and in both hips (more so, in right hip, though).  The Dr. says I have osteathritis.  The only treatment he offered me was to take steroids, surgery, or live with it.  Is there any body that has these same symptoms and some advice for me?  I cannot live this way and do not want to take steroids.   I've already had two back surgeries and I fear surgery may not be the solution for me...AGAIN.
Please help me.
I have had the same pain as you with the addition of sciatic pain and bursitis of the hip.  I have been suffering for over 2 year with this pain. Have undergone all sort of test and all they seem to have come up with is that I have OA of the right hip and in the lower spine.  I have have had three shot of Durolane (at $400 a shot) and it really has not done anything. It has taken the edge of but not deleted the pain. My doctors seem to be at a loss.  I take morphine, anti-inflamitories etc but nothing seem to work.  I do also have cyst on both of my ovaries that seem to have gotten bigger over the last 21/2 years but Dr. says this wouldn't be causing the pain because they aren't that big (3.6 and 3.8 cm).  I visit the GN at the end of the month and have an appt. with pain specialist in March.  I am hoping to put an end to this and get back my life.  I have 3 children ( 7yrs, 5yrs and 4yrs) that have also suffered due to this chronic pain.  Thank God  for my loving supportive husband.
Oh my God!  I have been suffering for lowr back pain........mainly left lower side since 2001 at which time I was on all kids of pain killers.............they could never tell me what it was, the only thing that ever helped was traction.....when they pulled from top and bottom the pain went away.............still I suffer only not as acute as then....and now I am worried........I have had IBS like sumptoms for quite awhile..........now that my uterus prolapsed, I am going better then ever........its so strange...........by change in bowel habits, it doesnt mean for the better by chance? I am so confused..........but I have pain in both sides of groin for a week now and I am concerned that it is cancer now.
Have any of you had blood in the urine with no reason that they can find, when you had cancer?
I WAS READIND THESE POST AND NO ONE EXCEPT YOU MENTIONED THE RIGHT GROIN  PAIN. I HAVE  A SIMILAR PROBLEM EXCEPT I HAVE PAIN IN  MY LEFT  GROIN AREAS AS WELL AS MY RIGHT GROINAREA. IT RUNS  DOWN TO MY RIGHT FRONT KNEE AND THE UPPER BACK OF MY RIGHT LEG AND LOWER ACK. I HAVE HAD EPISOLES OF THESE PAINS FOR YEARS .I HAVE NEVER EXPERIENCE BOTH SIDES AT THE SAME TIME (THINK GOD). AT NIGHT I LAY AND I TOSS CAN'T GET ANY RELIEF IN THE DAY TIME ITS THE SAME THING  I PUT OFF GOING TO THE DR.,  BECAUSE EACH TIME I DO THEY FINDS NOTHING SO I'M TOLD (ER OR PCP). I CAN'T WALK WHEN THIS HAPPENS OR DO ANYTHING THAT CAUSE FOR MOVEMENT, I'M HAVING AN EPISODE NOW WHICH HAS BEEN GOING ON NOW FOR ABOUT A WEEK. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TPYE OF PHYSICIAN TO SEE, A GYN, ORTHROPEDIC AN UROLGIST OR WHOM, SINCE I HAVE BEEN TOLD THERES NOTHING, BUT I KNOW IT'S SOMETHING. BESIDE SOME FIBROIDS I KNOW I HAVE AND THAT COULD BE THE PROBLEM. I JUST DON'T KNOW. COULD YOU GIVE ME A START.
I have had bad back pain off and on..but right now its on.............very painful.I hope I get some answers and can pass it on to you.............atleast this back pain took my mind off the groin pain hahahaa............sheesh
My last comment I didn't mention type of pain.  For years I have had lower back pain that was the associated with my tailbone. My doctor said it was arthritis and to take painkillers for the pain. Doing this and avoiding things like sitting on hard suffices, bike riding, sitting on the floor, sitting for long period of time, seemed to help.  Well during being pregnant I had these pains and pains in my right hip groin area. I was told its due to pregnance.  Well about 4 monts after my last child  the pain came back mostly right groin pain that radiated up to my hip.  This was a constant pain that went on for months. I started to be unable to walk long periods. I was uncomfortable standing or sitting. Couldn't sleep at night. My life was hell. I think I was at the Dr. office weekly. He did the bowel routine checks, MRI, CAT scan etc. Realy no answer till my second MRI that stated that I had Osteoarthritis in my right hip and Spine. No realy relief of pain with oa treatment to my right hip. But big news my Dr. just told me that he thinks I have PIRFORMIS SYNDROM (syndrome). Look it up on the internet and you would be suprised at how much it sounds like our pain. Not so good news it that it is really hard to treat.
I'll keep you informed of what my pain Dr. thinks of this diagnoses.

I always try to keep my head up and think It could be something worse like cancer. So I count my blessings.
Wow, am i glad i am not crazy....I cant believe that these pains that i feel, are very similiar to what others are feeling...i have been told by many doctors, that its nothing, or perhaps that itsendometriosis...etc...about five years ago i had a cyst and ovary removed, due to the fact that i was mis daignosed by a doctor, or wrather her heldful know it all ASSISTANT in training. who didnt bother to even look at my records when she said everything is normal and blew me off the phone....well i caled three times after and was told the same thing by her each and everytime...with the attitude that i was being a hypocondriac...finally i demanded to speak with the doctor as legally was not licensed to give me the info in the first place...in a huff ( can you believe it) she finally got me the doctor, and the doctor took one look at my ultrasound and asked me why i was waiting so long....and had i got my second opinion...almost like she was annoyed!...well to say the least i told. her about her most informative "apprentice", and if she was going to continue practice, she wouldnt be in practice for very long with this type of office management...so to say the least 1 week latet i was scheduled for what she told me was acyst removal only, and that it now after another ultrasound, was the size of a pumpkin...i am 5'2" and very petite, but looked like i was 7 months pregant, and was told i was gaining weight and to go on a diet....well one less ovary and fallopian tube later....fast forward to now...all these pains lower, groin area, my tailbone, and when i sleep at night, and sleep on my left side on my stomach, its the most incredible pain ever....i have had this for about 2 years and it seems to get worse... i suspected it might be another cyst, and to avoid the last big fiasco, i went to te gyn. to get it check out....at first i went to my primary care doctor who was a man, ( since my gyn was to busy to fit me in) and he ordered the pelvic ultrasound...when the results came back, he said i must talk to the gyno immediateley....after i finally got a hold of her, and of course this one seemed to be annoyed now as well because i was so persistant in getting in to her, she looked at the report and said that it was what they called a " nabothian" cyst, and she could do nothing about it...she asked me about the last cust operation with the other doctor that botched up everything, and concluded right there and then from the other cyst being termed CHocolate...that the pain i am feeling now is endometrios....so what do i do? i end up getting a depo shot which this doctor clained was going to "exacerbate" the pain ( dont know how to spell it)...Did it? NO.....the pain inmy back sometimes, i could be fine and walking as normal and then all of a sudden, my tail bone is so painful hurting, and then it goes away, bit the lower left pain which seems to incorporate my hip is ALWAYS ther....with regards to sleeping at night, my back can hurt...what really huts, is when i want to sleep on my left side, my hip starts to ache,and it feels like some is poking me in the groin or jsut underneath the hip area.....i was told by this latest doctor, that this is a slip disk and endomet....but this pain in my lower left groin and hip came long before the back problems started....i know this would be stupid way of thinking, but i am at a lost for words and am so tired of going to the doctor and being told there is nothing wrong or taken the easy blame and putting it on another place of the body.....i have noticed these days that doctors in general dont practice old fashion medicine...they are lazy and tend to rely upon these computerized test. They look for something to junp out at them and then they make their diagnosis....these i think are the ones with the attitudes and its all about money, or they really just dont know how to be a leader and pursue from the symptoms described by the patient.....how did all these doctors back 20 and 30 years ago make all these diagnosis without these machines, and still managed to become great doctors? A lot of people go into health care becuase they see it as a big money maker and status....do they truely love health and the better well being of others? if they did, maybe they would stop and listen, instead of running through the card mill of medical school....as you can see i am very frustrated, and have about given up on going elsewhere,,,,
I use tylenol pm every night plus a muscle relaxer.............or I would never sleep from ack pain.
Well, I went to the Gno yesterday and at first he told me that cyst that I had would usually go away by themselves. I then had to inform him that they had been there two years.  I also informed him of other symptom I've for the last 6 months ( migranes (migraines) and full day of constant puking first day of menses. pain during sex etc.)  Then he finally agreed that my hormonses are out of wack and that I probably will need surgery. So I am scheduled for a hysterectomy, removal of my tubs and the cysts.  I've been telling my Dr. for over a year and a half that my hormonses are out of wack and that I thought I might be premenoposal but he said I was to young (I'm 41). The GNO said that I was and that I would suffer with my symptoms till I reached probably 52.  I've already been suffering so I'll try anything.  So surgery is at the end of the month and I can't wait to see what releif it may give me.  I really have no use for my uteris since I'm done with having kids. I can get hormons in pills etc.   Wish me luck!
Drs: Nashville  GYNS
Same Office Dr Carter and Richard
Dr Maria Perales
i have pain in my back, hip and legs. I havent had a period for 3 months and im not prego. Do u think these have somethin in commin? i had a cyst when i was prego a year ago. I need help. What could this be??
I too have had left sided pain, that starts about my hip and goes down the front of my left leg. No longer able to sleep on left side. Been on pain meds for about 2 1/2 years. I finally went to a Gyn/Onc and he did another CT and said that I have Pelvic Congestion Syndrome. And the only thing they can do is a Hysterectomy. Not sure if it is the answer but I sure would like my life back. I can hardly lift my left leg with out pain. The longer I stand the worse it is. I don't have insurance so I don't have the surgery date yet.
Hope you all find the cure that is needed.
Faith
I have had alot if not all of these symptoms.  Some before and now more intensly after I had an abdominal hystertomy 9 months ago. I have had a terrible time with back pain, hip and groin pain, pain down my legs and slipping of the knee and both hips.  I can not walk or move quickly, turn, sit, stand or bend without severe pain and locking of my hip.  After two steriod injections (pirisformis and bursa) ,months  of PT and about 20 Chiroptactic appointments, my knee feels better and my back only hurts if I overdue anything.   I have had CT scans, an MRI and general exray's that all show my bones are fine. But after reading up on Hip/groin pain (medscape.com was helpful) I'm wondering if something (Tendon, muscle or nerve) was cut during my surgery or if I did not heal completly?  I wanted to know if anyone else struggled with these types of pain after an ABDOMINAL hysterectomy?
I also should say that I had my uterus and cervix removed but they left both of my ovaries.  They said my back pain was probably not due to the cysts on my right ovary however I still get the same pain in my lower right back.  I wish I would have had them remove that ovary and then I would know for sure if it was because of the cysts.
Hi, I am going through the same thing, same symptoms, I was diagnosed with endometriosis ovarian cysts, one cyst bursted thats what got me going to the ER  and Cat Scan confim that endometriosis and cyst are present, I also had calcium build up on my right kidney, everything on my right side LOL, go for CT scan, and they maight give you birth controll pills to shrink the cysts, God Luck.
have any of you suffering from groin pain ever been tested for ankylosing spondylitis?  My first symptoms 20 years ago  were groin pain and it took 11 years before anything showed up on xray.  The blood test needed for this autoimmune disease is hlab27 and its not a routine test so you need to ask for it. Also, many members of the medical prof believe that it doesnt effect women - well i am a woman with the symptoms of this disease that are commonly associated with men so dont believe all they tell you.  I am not on this website for me I am on for my hubby who got rushed into Aand E on sat with sever hip and groin pain.  he is on morphine and we are waiting the scan result, they think its a prolapsed disc, but having researched that on the web, his must be the most severe case. My msg to all you sufferers is dont be despondent when told something that does not fit with your symptoms and experiences, use the web, knowledge is power and have the assertiveness to ask the questions that need to be asked, and put your foot down and even stamp it when necessary! god bless!
Hello, I want to join you becauce I experience numerous of the mentioned symptoms, with the difference that I had a laser conization four months ago. I was told that I am healing excellent, all of my organs were looked by an internist and said they all function well. The gyno said my ovarried looked healthy and functioning well. About a month and a half after the procedure, I started having the pain down my inner thies and only accidentally I discovered that i had lumps in my groin area. The doctor said that I most likely have post operative limpatehic syndome (whatever it is) and that it is not related to the procedure, at least not in away that it is a bad sign. I took a dose of antibiotic and that was it. This doctor and my procedure was done oversees and I now have to see a doctor for the follow up, but I am waiting for my insurance to kick in. I am so scared because my PMS is also stronger - I am really angry, so I thnk my hormones are oscilating badly. My last period was little heavier, but nothing excessive and that I cannot handle. I wanted to ask you - does anyone have also pain on the outside thies - under hips. I also have really bad back, upper and lower, my neck and all. If anyone had conization due to HPV virus and has these symptoms, please tell me about your experience, or if others have any information that I coul use...I hate to wait for my appointment, but I am due for my period anyway and will not be able to have my paps until 5-6 days after the period. I listen to some of the owmen talking about taking out their reporductive organs with so ease. I am terrified of that and really would try anything before I do that. I have one child and i am divorced, and 38, so I have small chances I will have more kids, although I would really like to...so I want to keep that chance, if I can. Good luck to all of you and I will keep you posted, in case anyone can use some of my experiences.
i am a 25 yr olds women who has just discovered 2 small grizzle like lumps on my cervix i have been experancing back pain and deciding to have a check internally to see if i could feel anythign obvious i found these 2 lumps any ideas what this could be thanks
My GYN told me that Endometriosis and Adenomyosis will cause pain to refer to other areas typically back hip and leg pain. Apparently he says its very common frusterating thing is how does one know if their pain is the same as someone else's. exmp( dull, aching, sharp)

I read your comments with interest.  I am 35 and have missed 2 periods.  I also have abdominal pains (like pre menstrual cramps) and shooting pains down my left leg.

I went to the Doctor today and told her i have done 2 pregnancy tests (both negative).  She condescendingly said well you're not pregnant then.  She booked me to go in to get a full blood test & a smear but didn't really give me any idea what she is looking for - I guess kidneys/liver & cervical cancer?  Who knows.  

Has anybody experienced this before?  If so any help would be appreciated.  Thanks xx
i have had pain in my left groin for a year now. i thought it was down to running on the treadmill, but now i'm not running the pain is still there. i have been bleeding lightly for about 25 days now and the pain is worse. any ideas what this could be. really worried! michaela
I also have these symptoms, along with bloating, constipation ( but my stool is soft ), I missed two periods but I got my period this month. I went to the doctor and got a pregnancy test done ( blood & urine ) and there are no signs of pregnancy ( which wasn't a surprise since I am very loyal to my boyfriend and he was away working for the past 6 1/2 months ) but I still had to make sure. The doctor thinks I may have a hernia in my left pelvic area. I am scheduled to have an ultrasound done on the 12th of May, so I will let you all know what the results are. Personally, I think I also may have a cyst on my ovaries or PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome), even though the one doctor said it wouldn't be cysts. My sister has a cyst on her ovaries, and since cysts are hereditary, I think I may have one, too. I will keep you informed.
so im only 14 years old and i woke up last night at 4:30am. i had extreme sharp shooting CONSTANT pains from my hip (all on left side) to my left knee. whether i just sat still or moved it constantly hurt. im not pregnant, i know this for a fact. & this is the first time ive had to wake up for pains like these on my left side.

** i have juvenile rheumatoid arthiritis in my right knee. ive had it since ive been 3 and recently ive been having problems with it, only in my right knee though. i am drinking medicine again. **

ok so i had no idea if the jra had anything to do with the pains but i took some of the pills that are for my arthirits. i dont know if it helped exactly but the pain in my left leg / hip was so bad that it took me about a half hour to an hour to fall asleep.

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THESE PAINS ARE BECAUSE :

a: of my jra

b: if it is this "ovarian cancer" just starting

c: (anything else from the readers)

thanks =)
woops....i meant to put all on my above comment. haha =) ok. please help.
I have been suffering from the same kind of pain, left lower back, hip, groin, leg and even sometimes my left testicle feels like there is a clamp attached. I have had a CT scan done and the results show that there is a lump taking up 3/4 of my left kidney. We are not sure if this is causing my pain but I will post another comment once I am fully healed from surgery to have my kidney removed which will be soon!
HI, I HAVE A HIP, LOWER LEFT BACK , GROIN AND LEFT LEG PAIN.THIS IS FOR SEVERAL YEARS NOW ,AND JUST COME AND GO.I NEVER WENT TO THE DOCTOR ABOUT THIS..THIS WEEK IS ACHING AGAIN BUT DULL PAIN,LEFT IS A LITTLE NUMB.DO YOU KNOW OF PAIN LIKE THIS?  THANKX.
Just wanted to let you all know that the lump on my kidney turned out to be an 11cm tumor, and yes it was cancerous. Now that the tumor as well as my kidney is gone, I am back to work, cancer free and i feel great, no more pain!
Some advice to any one who goes several years dealing with the pain,"DON'T".
My family doctor and I thought my problem was a pinched nerve in my lower back, but I didn't believe that because no matter what i did to try to make it feel better... It didn't!
I had a much bigger problem, and you might too!