Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Pain

Hello Doctor… I just spent the night in the emergency room with excruciating pain in my groin area, emanating down to my knee…  I'm 55 years of age and have gone through menopause.  

My blood work came back all fine, no infection, my urine was again negative for UTI. My blood pressure was normal.  My colon, kidneys, appendix all showed up normal - they did say I had gastritis.  I drank barium and they did a CT scan of my stomach and groin area.  Everything came back normal that they could see with the ctscan.

With my work I have been flying a lot this month, and under a lot of stress.  I have been having this pain for 5 days now, shooting pain that starts in my right groin and travels down to the knee. At times it flutters. It did flare up exactly 2 months ago at the same time of the month.  I had surgery 15 years ago that removed my right ovary due to a large cyst.  I'm fine when sitting down or raising my right leg when sitting.  when i stand, i lose power in my right leg and the pain is terrible and walking very difficult.  

Would a blood clot in my thigh show up in the ctscan?  do you think it could be a blocked lymph node or endometriosis?  I called the hospital again and they said i'd have to come back in to triage for any answers.  Thank you so much for your help.

Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your concern for the excruciating groin pain that you are having.

Most of the common causes of groin like UTI, gastroenterological causes, kidney causes, intestical disorders and gynecological causes ( fibroids, uterine or cervical cancer) have been ruled out by imaging methods like ultrasound and CT scan.

However deep vein thrombosis due to blood clots also needs to be ruled out,as you are suspecting. Apart from that nerve compression and nerve pain also need to be ruled out. Post menopausal endometriosis is very rare and is usually associated with other accompanying symptoms as well.
CT scan can detect any blood clots in thigh and ultrasound, computerized tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) can all provide visual images of your veins and may show if you have a clot but small clots or deep blood clots may be missed and a series of imaging methods may be needed to determine whether a blood clot is growing or to be sure a new one hasn't developed. Then D dimer test can also be done. This test measures a substance in the blood that’s released when a blood clot dissolves.

You should get a Doppler ultrasound and a D dimer test to rule out any blood clots. Regarding endometriosis, it is usually associated with other symptoms as well. Although ultrasound is useful in diagnosing endometriosis, but still cannot definitively diagnose endometriosis. Laproscopy is the only accurate way of diagnosing endometriosis. However this should be done only when endometriosis is very strongly suspected and to rule out any ovarian malignancies which may crop up at this age.

Hope that this information helps and hope that you get better soon.

Wishing you good health.