Papillary Serous Borderline tumor on left ovary
I was diagnosed in November 2007 with Papillary Serous Borderline tumor. My GYN removed the tumor bc I wanted to have kids and I had my right ovary removed when I was 9 yrs old. I'm currently 35 yrs old and after 3 unsuccessful IVFs and 2 years, it looks as if the PSB tumor is back.  My GYN ONC wants to do a total hysterectomy. I was hoping to keep my uterus short term to see if donor eggs were an option for us.

I'm scared and I don't know what to do.  I want kids but I also want to be safe first.  I was diagnosed with 1C borderline ovca in Nov 2007.  If during surgery things look all clear and isolated to the ovary, do I need to remove my uterus now?  I only want to keep it 1-2 years longer. Please let me know what I should do and how risky it would be to keep my uterus short term if watched carefully.
Why don't you post this to the doctor in the expert forum?  She could probably give you a better answer than any of us.
I agree it would be best if Dr. Goodman could answer this.  But, I understand how it seems impossible to get a question posted on that forum.  I am really sorry to hear of your recurrence of the borderline tumor.  My two cents, and it is only my opininon, is that I would have it all removed and go with your gyn/oncs recommendation.  The fact that you were a 1c means you had cancer cells in the washings and with the recurrence of the tumor it seems like a high risk situation for your health.  I understand this is a really hard personal decision and I hope someone comes along to answer with more info. or experience in this area.  You could always go for a second opinion by another gyn/onc.  Best wishes.

Shelly
Tperk... I'm sorry you're going through this at the same time that you're trying to start a family :(  I was just diagnosed with a borderline serous tumor on left ovary and another one near the right ovary, so I've spent the last few days reading everything I can get my hands on with regards to these types of tumors.  It seems that these tend to be very slow growing with good prognosis and often times surgery is limited to preserve fertility in women still wanting children.  I'd say get a second opinion before having your uterus removed.  I don't see why it couldn't stay in there another couple years with this type of tumor, but obviously I'm not an expert.  I do know that the micropapillary borderline tumors are worse and a bit more aggressive... did you have any implants of it anywhere or were there just cells in the washings?  Best of luck to you.