Ovarian Cancer Community
Paraovarian

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Paraovarian

I received a copy of the letter the specialist sent my GP today and in it he said that from the ultrasound he cant be sure if the solid mass is ovarian or paraovarian. Does anyone know what paraovarian means, does it mean that it could be another organ that is near to my ovaries, or still in my uterus?

He also said he is doing a pelvic laparoscopy, again, is that just the name for when they look at your uterus , or does that mean he is going to look elsewhere other than my uterus?

My GP doesnt tell me anything or i would ask her. In fact even after being shown an US of the mass that was done by a private dr she told me to go away and forget about it. She said it was probably faeces. But I mean even if the highly qualified Harley Street Doctor who did the scan was unable to distinguish between faeces and an abnormality, you would have thought she would investigate further just to make sure. Its almost medically negligent isnt it?
(ps- I had to go back to the private dr to get referred to a specialist. He had expected my gp to do that after he did his scan, as I couldnt afford his prices to operate he said to show the results to my gp who would refer me and i could have it done on NHS. As she didnt he kindly referred me himself to a gyn onc at Addenbrookes.)
Welcome!  If I were you I would seek a 2nd opinion from a gyn/onc.  They are specialists in the female reproductive area and have seen everything.  Remember that 99% of ovarian cysts are benign, but that does not mean that you should ignore your symptoms.  I cannot fathom that your gp would tell you to go home and forget about it.  Forget her and seek the expert advice from the gyn/onc.  You are in my thougts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
I would immediately find a new doctor that would communicate with me.  You need to understand completely what is going on with your body so you can make proper decisons that are right for you.

I had a pelvic laporoscopy and to remove a cyst on an ovary and my gyn. looked at both ovaries and even the appendix.  They blow up your abdomen and are able to look at all areas of the pelvis.

Good luck and I hope you get some answers.
I am so sorry that you have such a lousy gp.  I agree with the other girls about finding another dr (perferably a gyn/onc).  They specialize in the reproductive system.  It is truely sad when we just get pushed from one doctor to another.  Just be sure to stand up for yourself.  You have to be strong, and fight for what you need.  Prayers are with you.  Kasie