Ovarian Cancer Community
Peanuts & Potatoes
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Peanuts & Potatoes

OK ... just hear me out.  I know of someone who swears that raw peanuts with the red skin will help raise platelets.  AND potatoes will help raise white cells.  Has anyone heard of this?  

:-) Judy
Related Discussions
3 Comments
Blank
187666_tn?1331176945
I've heard about the peanuts (yes, they have to have the skins on) but not about potatoes. I don't know if I read it in one of those alternative health columns or if there was actual studies done about peanuts and health. If they're salted, you've got another problem though.
Blank
16702_tn?1234094245
Haven't heard about peanuts and potatoes but have been told that okra helps raise red cells.
Blank
Very interesting!  I searched online after reading and found out on the potatoes, it was a study done on pigs on the starch of the potatoes...however it was RAW potatoes (humans don't eat them raw).  When cooked, the starch we eat passes the small intestine (where the raw potatoes starch gets used differently) where it ferments.  They mentioned something about cold cooked potatoes...no idea about that!

For the peanuts, there was some talk about how they also contained  Resveratrol (like red grapes) which is used to prevent platelet accumulation.

Not saying the above is definite, it's all I could find at midnight :)
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ovarian Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
1 hr ago by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank