Ovarian Cancer Community
Pelvic MRI

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Pelvic MRI

Can anyone tell me about how long it takes for a pelvic MRI with contrast? I am having mine done tomorrow evening and am really nervous about it - both the procedure itself and what might be found. I will be taking some Klonopin beforehand to help with the anxiety but it didn't help enough when I tried to have one several years ago in a closed tube. (I was told that the open MRI doesn't give clear enough images so I have to go into the closed one again this time.)    :(
An MRI or Ultrasound?  

The only bad thing about an MRI is the time it takes.....it is a long process.  I have had them done for my back and my knee.  The one for my back was about 45 minutes, I don't remember how long it was for my knee.  I have never had a pelvic MRI.  The entire time you are laying on your back...it is very painless and actually relaxing if  you close your eyes and try to sleep.  Bring a long a CD that you like and they will probably play it for you.

I have had pelvic CT Scans with contrast.  I have to drink three huge glasses of stuff...its not that bad...each glass has to be consumed within a 1/2 hour (so that is 1.5 hours sitting there) then the CT Scan...takes about 15 mins..and that includes changing my clothes....they take pictures, then hook up the IV, take a few more pics and it's done.

Good luck....let us know how it goes
Thank you. Yes, an MRI. I've had two US and my gyn wanted to wait and see another month with my cysts but I said let's just cut to the chase and do the MRI. Now I'm freaking out about it. I've had my brain and spine MRI'd as well and that did take awhile. I was just hoping that somehow the pelvic MRI would take, oh, say ten minutes. Haha, if only.
Just as a follow-up....I had the MRI and got through it. :)  It only took about half an hour and was in one of the newer machines where my head was out just a touch. Not the open MRI, but a shorter bore so it was much easier for me. Contrast was ordered by my doctor but the radiologist didn't feel it was necessary so I hope this is good news.