Ovarian Cancer Community
Pelvic Pain, No Answers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Pelvic Pain, No Answers

I'm a 32-year-old monther of one. Over the past few months I've developed some strange pelvic/abdominal symptoms.  It started about 6 weeks ago when I noticed my appetite had decreased significantly.  When I sat down to force some food down at meal time, I had trouble forcing the food down sometimes, and other times felt full very quickly after eating just a small amount. It hasn't been like that every single day, but has recurred intermittently. Then 4 weeks ago, my period was extra heavy and lasted for 14 days--something that has never happened before. At first I thought maybe it was just my body adjusting to being off birth control (just went off in September to start trying for a second child). During the second week, I started having a lot of pelvic pain, usually on the left side (and sometimes also lower back pain on same side).  I developed UTI-like symptoms, although I first noticed it while wiping rather than when the urine was coming out, and then I did feel pain when urinating as well, although it hurt all through my abdomen. I had a very "full" feeling in my lower abdomen all throughout.  Went to doc and there was no bacteria in my urine--culture came back showing what she called "an amount of bacteria that they don't typically even have to treat," but she gave me three days of antibiotics anyway.  A week later, the symptoms hit me again REALLY hard, along with the frequent need to urinate.  Doc gave me a week's worth of Cipro and told me to go to my ObGyn. Went to Gyn and had a pap. Pap was normal and everything looked normal except for what she called some irritation.  She said she saw yeast buds and gave me a pill to take.  Pelvic pain intermittently continues, mostly on left side. When I lay or sit in certain positions, it hurts a lot more.  The other day I couldn't tolerate lying on my right side.  Had a transvaginal ultrasound done yesterday...the technician who did the exam mentioned everything looked okay to her but said the radiologist would look and contact my Gyn. In the mean time, despite all the antibiotics (and a second culture to look for UTI at my Gyn, which came back negative), I'm still feeling pressure/pain sometimes when I urinate, still have pelvic pain, still intermittently get full early when I eat a small amount of food, have breast tenderness which comes and goes.  Should I be concerned about the possibility of ovarian cancer?  
1 Comment
It sounds to me as if you are doing all the right things to get to the bottom of what is going on with your body.
Just don't give up.  You must be your own advocate when it comes to your health.
You know, it could be your body is trying to figure out what is going on with the hormonal changes you are experiencing.  I would think it could take more than just a few weeks for things to get back  to normal.
After having ovarian cancer myself, I would never tell any woman she shouldn't be concerned about ovarian cancer.  Don't take any chances and listen to your body.  Don't borrow trouble, but do find out what is going on.
Peace.
dian