Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Please help me with ultrasound report!

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Please help me with ultrasound report!

I am 47.  During a recent pelvic, my doctor felt what she thought might be a fibroid.  I was sent for an ultrasound.  The pelvic ultrasound transabdominal stated:  Uterus appears retroverted, measuring about 7.5 cm in length by 3.5 cm AP dimension and 7 cm width.  The uterine architecture is not well delineated due to retroversion and suboptimal filling of the bladder (don't understand this; I drank more than the recommended amount and was about to explode). The left ovary is not identified and the right ovary likely lies close the uterus and is normal in size.  There is no free fluid.  Endovaginal pelvic ultrasound stated:  Endometrium is 11 mm in thickness.  There are a few Nabothian cysts in the cervix.  There is no myometrial abnormality noted.  Left ovary is 2.5 x 1.5 x 1 cm.  Right ovary is 2 x 3 x 2.5 cm and contains a 2 cm cystic structure with some low level internal echoes.  There is no free fluid.  My doctor called this cystic structure a lesion.  I have had light cramping, nausea and stomach pain since my pelvic almost 2 weeks ago.  I have a history of IBS and GERD, so I've had symptoms of these for some time...although the GERD seems worse.  Also, I had some light spotting a few days ago and am not due to start my period for a week.  My doctor suggested waiting 6 weeks and repeating the ultrasound.  Is this a normal course of action?  Is this report suggestive of a cyst or cancer?  
Dear MGrace,

Aside of the endometrial thickness, that sounds like a completely normal report. your uterus is normal size. your ovaries are normal size. if you are still having your periods, a 2 cm cyst is usually a cyst of ovulation. repeating in 6 weeks after a menstrual cycle makes sense. It should be gone. If it is not gone, it may represent another kind of cystic structure (see my last posting right before this for a list of benign cyst types). You can decide with your doctor in that case whether you should have a laparoscopy to look at it or just follow it. my personal leaning is to leave little 2 cm  things alone (unless they are growing)

Now the endometrial strip is a little thick unless it was done right before a period. If you are having any irregular bleeding and the ultrasound was done right after a period -when the stripe should be thin (like less than 6 mm), that is a reason to consider a biopsy of your endometrial lining .
best wishes
I am 41 and received an US due to amenorhea (amenorrhea)  x 3 1/2 months

my ultrasound report is as follows: Transabdominal us of pelvis is as follows:

Uterus to be anteverted and normal in size 8.1x5.0x3.4cm.  Endometrial stripe is WNL measuring 4mm in diam. A small L ovarian cyst measuring 2 cm is present, likely normal follicular cyst.  Otherwise L ovary is normal measuring 2.7 x2.1 x2.0.  R ovary is not identified.  No  adnexal mass or freee fliuid is demonstated.

What does " R ovary not identified" mean in an US.