Ovarian Cancer Community
Port for chemo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Port for chemo

Have a port for the chemo, center gave me Lidocane cream, but it does not work on the pain.  I am trying cortisone gel now, not any better.  Any suggestions?
terri, when was your port put in?  Why does it hurt? Is it already being used to deliver chemo?   Is your pain at the site of the port or somewhere the catheter is inside?
My port placement was May of 2005; I was told I will keep it for at least two years. The installation was no picnic, but I haven't experienced "pain" since then (unless I bumped it).
I get it flushed every 6-8 weeks; last flush was yesterday, and today no pain. It hasn't been used for chemo since October.
Is your port site red or swollen?
It shouldn't be hurting you.
I think I would contact the surgeon who placed it; tell him what is going on and you need some relief.
I hop you are able to find Peace and comfort soon      dian
It skin gets tender and sensative.  This is on and off, sometimes it is red and other days not.
Hi, Ain; were you diagnosed with ovc? Guess it doesn't matter as your question is about a port!
At first I was apprehensive, but am so glad to have it now.
My port is located in my upper left chest just under the skin, and about two inches lower than my clavical. There is a catheter that has been fed (from that port) across my chest  accessing an artery that leads directly into the heart.
I have had no problem with my port and I am glad I had it when it came to the administration of my chemo.  I am not afraid of needles, but this is so much easier and faster, for me, it was a "no-brainer".
Chemo is really hard on your veins, and, that is another reason for the port.
The whole surgical procedure took approximately 20 minutes; I was glad when it was over, but, I have been through worse!
I hope I answered some of your questions.
Peace     dian
Your subject is interesting also for me. Also me I need to place a "port", but I don't Know about it, where is placed, the materials, the body reactions (alergic (allergic), etc). Maybe the pain is caused of an alergic (allergic) reaction...
Who can tell me all about "a port" ? I will be so much obliged!!!
Ain
Hello terrin2; How long have you had your port? My port was sensitive, and very ruddy for quite some time.  It was much more irritated during my chemo phase than it is now.  My last chemo was in October; I don't think it looked completely healed until they quit poking it all the time! My port was put in the beginning of last May.
At first, it looked like my surgeon didn't know what he was doing; it looked like it was going to pop through the incision; the incision didn't look that great either! As I said earlier, it looks totally different now.
I did wash that incision with a pre-surgical antibacterial soap for quite some time after it was put in, and that might have helped; I am not sure.
If you are really having problems with it, you should talk with someone; get someone to check it out to make certain it is not infected.  Don't be afraid to ask someone; this is important!
Keep me posted, and Peace         dian