I have a 10 cm ovarian cyst that is either fluid or mucus filled. My ca 125 level is 117. So before I go into surgery I have to decide if its a borderline cyst if I want a complete hysterectomy or not. If I have it done there is chance final pathology will come back and it wasn't cancer or if I don't have it done then it could turn out to be and then I need another operation and it will of had 3 weeks to grow. I am 26 with a 7 month old baby. Help!!! I don't know what to do. What is hysterectomy like at 26?
First of all please be sure this surgery is being done by a gyn/oncologist. That is very important. You do truly only get one change to have this done right. You are very young and there are alot of fertility preserving options that should be available to you, "IF" pathology is returned unfavorable, and all these options should be layed out to you prior to surgery. Sometimes in your case, it is necessary to have two surgeries. Best wishes to you, and please keep us updated.
A doctor looking at a scan, etc would have no way of knowing if the tumor was borderline or not. Even solid cysts are benign....so it being filled with mucus does not make it "borderline".
If it is borderline, there is no need, at this point to have a hysterectomy. A GYN/Oncologist would work with you, given your age, to attempt to save fertility and not want to put you into menopause, and would most likely remove only the ovary with the cyst.
Your CA125 could be off for a lot of reasons, including where you are presently in your cycle. Are they repeating the scans and the CA125 prior to surgery?
Have you thought about a 2nd opinion?
I was diagnosed with Stage 1A in 2000, they only removed my right ovary and tube at the time. I kept the rest for 4 more years.
I am not saying that borderline tumors can't recur and develop into a life battle....I am suggesting that you speak with your doctor, get a second opinion, and know all the facts before you have surgery.
Yes it is an OBGYN that I'm seeing and is doing the surgery. I do have a family history of breast cancer and ovarian cancer. I guess where I have a 7 month old I am just wanting to be very pro active and if there is a chance of having it turn into something I'd rather have the hysterectomy and know for sure it's gone then find it at a later stage down the road. Originally it was just going to be an oopherectomy. And if its benign it still will be just the ovary removed. However the question is if its borderline what do we do? Wait and have another surgery down the road or do it all now? So the ca125 could be elevated because of my period?
Your CA125 is not that high. I'd find out for sure what you're dealing with before you have a hysterectomy. Your body needs your hormones for many more years if you can keep your ovaries. Better to take a little time to be absolutely sure!
The Content on this Site is presented in a summary fashion, and is intended to be used for educational and entertainment purposes only. It is not intended to be and should not be interpreted as medical advice or a diagnosis of any health or fitness problem, condition or disease; or a recommendation for a specific test, doctor, care provider, procedure, treatment plan, product, or course of action. Med Help International, Inc. is not a medical or healthcare provider and your use of this Site does not create a doctor / patient relationship. We disclaim all responsibility for the professional qualifications and licensing of, and services provided by, any physician or other health providers posting on or otherwise referred to on this Site and/or any Third Party Site. Never disregard the medical advice of your physician or health professional, or delay in seeking such advice, because of something you read on this Site. We offer this Site AS IS and without any warranties. By using this Site you agree to the following Terms and Conditions. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your physician or 911 immediately.