Ovarian Cancer Community
Possible dermoid cyst/pelvic mass??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Possible dermoid cyst/pelvic mass??

I am having lapascopic (please excuse my spelling)surgery on Monday to remove a "pelvic mass" that measures about 4cm. They call it a pelvic mass but it can not be seen with a transvag ultrasound or regular ultrasound. They say it is located in the space between my rectum and spine. They found this "mass" while doing an MRI on my back for what is now known to me as herniated discs.  So I guess I am lucky that my back hurt all the time to find this!! My docotrs will not tell me anything but they think it is a dermoid cyst that is attached to my left ovary and possibly my left fallopian tube.I am 30 years old, single mother to two and scared to death!! My right ovary has a cyst on it that has been controlled with birth control pills since my teens. I guess the waiting until they "get in there" to "see what they find" is what is the scariest for me. My mothers youngest sister (42) has/had stage 4 ovarian cancer that is now in her lungs and they seemed very concerned about this. They will not do a CA-125 because they say there are to many false positives. I am just a little scared and hope that someone has had a similar experience and can give some comforting words.
ive had dermoids removed from my ovaries and the worst bit is the waiting for the surgery. often the doc will try and save the ovary, although you can function normally with just one. try and stay calm i know that is easy to say but 99% of dermoid cysts are benign. this cannot be confirmed without a biopsy, make sure you have a gyn/onc who specialises in this area. best wishes, sharon.
Hi there and welcome.  Dermoids are strange creatures to say the least!  Although 99% of ovarian cysts, tumors and masses are benign, you are wise not to ignore your symptoms.  Since dermoids do not resolve on their own, surgery is a must.  Talk to your dr. about having a gyn/onc in the or.  They are specialists in women's gyn issues and have seen everything.  You are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
Don't worry too much about them not doing a CA-125 test. It isn't accurate in pre-menopausal women, and it's much more effective as a cancer marker after cancer has been diagnosed.
On the plus side, when they do your lap, you should ask them to remove the one on your right ovary as well, and then you won't have to worry about that one anymore.
Hang in there, and please keep us posted! We're here to support you!
~Marianne
Thanks to everyone with support!! My OBGYN is going into the operating room with the general surgeon. I am a bit more relaxed since reading all the other posts on this site. I guess it could be worse!! I , thankfully, have parents that live less than 1 mile from me (sometimes not so thankful HA HA) and they are in excellent health. My mother has already taken the week off to care for my one year old that is a chuncky butt at 32 pds. and my five year old.She has a question list about a mile long to ask "in case I forget."  I will keep you all posted and will try to put some encouraging news on here after Monday.  Again, Thank you!!