Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Precancerous Lesion

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Precancerous Lesion

Ultrasound revealed a 13 cm mass on my R ovary, so doctor tested my blood,  He called yesterday to tell me the result was "normal" but he is referring me to an oncologist because of concerns that the mass is precancerous.  I will see the oncologist in a week, but in the meantime, I would appreciate an information about what this means, what questions I should ask, etc.  What questions should I ask?  What do you know know that you wish you had known when you were at this stage of the game?   I have been browsing this site for a couple weeks, and I find it very helpful

I will be 60 in a month, never been pregnant, have had no symptoms other than leaking urine, and am in very good health.  
Hi There,

Nowadays , many women are referred to gynecologic oncologists for surgery even when the cyst is benign. this is because gyn oncologists have alot more surgical experience.

In the rare event that a cyst is malignant, the gyn oncologist will do the appropriate surgery for an ovarian cancer.

In general, with a 13 cm mass, the doctor will have to decide on the best surgical approach to remove it - laparoscopy versus a bigger incision called laparotomy.

That decision is based on the exact look of the cyst by the scan and your physical exam.

The questions you should ask include more information about the test findings
what other diagnostic tests does the doctor recommend
when should surgery be schedule
what type of surgery
risks and complications
recovery time from surgery

make a list of questions and bring someone else with you as an extra set of ears.

Everyone wants the doctor to guess at whether she/he thinks this is a malignancy. it requires surgery to get that answer.

Please let us know how you are doing
best wishes

I don't know if this helps, but after doing a ton of research over the last two weeks, I've a lot about the CA-125 test which tests a protein in the blood that is often elevated when ovarian cancer is present especially in women post-menopausal. My personal test results are elevated 3 times the normal level, so I too saw a gynecological oncologist. Certainly not an easy feeling when your being referred to any oncologist. I am premenopausal myself, so hoping the elevated levels are related to something other than cancer like endometriosis. My cyst is similar in size and is complex (solid and fluid filled), and my surgery is in two days.

Anyway, I would do some more research and ask questions specifically related to the risk level, but if I recall correctly, for woman postmen., the levels are elevated in about 80% of women who have OC. I've also read we are in much better hands dealing with ovarian masses/cysts when a GO performs the surgery versus an OB/GYN. No offense to our beloved OB/GYN's, the statistics just show better results as the GO has the specialized training/education.

I hope all goes well for you! Keep us posted!
Thank you. All the best to you and your loved ones.