Ovarian Cancer Community
Pregnancy with one ovary removed, is it possible?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I recently had a dermoid cyst removed. And in the process they removed my ovary. Does anyone know anyone who was able to concieve (conceive) with only one ovary?
Hi There,
I had a daughter last year with only one ovary so it is possible!! I had my right ovary and tube removed due to endometrosis... Good Luck :0) Duxie
Hi.  I had a friend who only had one ovary and went on to have 2 children without any problems at all.  Good luck to you!!!
Thank you guys so much! you dont know what it means to me to have someone tell me they can have children with one ovary. When I found out that they had removed my ovary I was devistated! I think my mission in life is to have a child. I love children so much, and I want nothing more than to have ONE child at least. One..ill be happy with one. I want about 2 or three but I will be happy with only one! God bless you! And Thank you!
Hi there, I just had my third surgery for Endometriosis and I ending up losing my left ovary and fallopian tube. My right ovary and tube are okay. My husband and I are considering taking Clomid and maybe having an IUI. We have no children at this point but desire to have kids. We are nearing 30 and hope to have a child soon. Its hard for me to think of my life with out having kids. I read a lot about pragnacy and "how to" but I'm wondering if Clomid or other drugs will really help. I guess we won't know until we try. Any advice? Thank you
Hi i am now 31years old . When I was just 14 I had a cancerous cyst removed from my left ovary and my left ovary was removed aswelll.
My husband and I starting to have a family and fell pregnant first time .Then i fell pregnant without trying  1 year later.
Then We were trying for a third child as we has two boys and hoping for a girl and to both our suprise  we fell pregnant with twins one boy and one girl. children all natural with only one ovary Julie

***@****
IS IT POSSIBLE TO BECOME PREGNAT WITH ONLY ONE OVARY I AM 15 I HAD ONE REMOVED BUT IM SCARED I CANT HAVE BABIES WHEN I GET OLDER THE DR. SAID I CAN BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT DO YALL THINK I CAN? PLEASE HELP ME WITH AS MUCH INFORMATION AS YOU CAN THANK U SOOO MUCH!!!
its me again i had to re sign up i put the wrong info while signing up but my question still stand i would like it if yall can help me out with my question i had an ovary removed a few years ago n i was wondering if i can have babies n the future please give me information thanx
Yes, you can easily conceive with one ovary, I have three kids ....all with one ovary.  The one takes over the job of two NO PROBLEM.  You just ovulate from the one ovary instead of  two alternating.  To kgill, I am leary of Clomid, as it can make ovaries that overproduce cysts produce MORE.    
Seriously, I did hypnosis and I swear it helped!!  I know it sounds dumb, but I do believe that the mind has some power over the body.  I was so totally nerved up and upset about getting pregnant and I think the hypnosis calmed me down.  Anyway, it's a good skill to know... getting control of our mind when we are stressed out.   Look into using a basal temperature thermometer to determine when you are most fertile, it worked for me.
Also, I got into really good health habits, and I think that helped too.  Best of luck to you ladies!
Love,
Katie  
Actually I have read that you can conceive with only part of one ovary. For example if you lost one ovary and the other had to have a cyst ror something emoved and was damaged in surgery or whatever and the doctor could only retain part of the second.
The part remaining usually functions properly.

Good luck!
My daughter had an ovary removerd, her right one, 9 years ago from a huge cyst on it. she now has a 7 1? yr old daughter and a son who will be 4 in a few weeks. A few weeks ago we found out she is pregnant with twins. so having only one ovary you surely can get pregnant without any other pills.
Hi, my sister also had only one functioning ovary. She was born with an ovary protruding out and had to have an operation as an infant to correct it but it was too damaged. She had her first baby at 16 and went on to have 4 more while on the pill. She finally made her husband have a vasectomy just to stop having babies!