Ovarian Cancer Community
Prognosis for Stage III Ovarian Cancer

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Prognosis for Stage III Ovarian Cancer

My wife was diagnosed with Stage III ovarian cancer and had surgery last weekend. When the doctor looked at the original CAT Scan we were told that she had an abdominal mass that was most likely cancer. After surgery the surgeon spoke with my family. He said that the tumor had gotten rather large and attached itself to the colon.

He also told us that the mass was mostly confined to one area and that he was able to remove all the cancer including a small part of the colon during surgery; He said that the surgery was a success. He did add that there were small (less than a centimeter) of spots on the lining of the liver that would burn off when my wife went through chemotherapy. To remove them during surgery would have been harmful.

In closing he said that my wife's prognosis is excellent;  she is someone that can be cured from the disease and not have to live with the disease. I want to and do believe this, but when I read on-line about Stage III Ovarian Cancer the news is not good. What am I to believe?
Just to add to my post, our surgeon did say that her lymph nodes were not swollen when checked during surgery, they looked normal. How does the disease spread to the liver? ; wouldn't it have to travel through the lymph nodes?
Sorry about your wife's dx.  I'm sure you are still in the shock right now.  Just want you to know it is very normal to have this time period since we all have been there before.  I don't thnik it is a very good idea to do more than necessary search on line right now.  You have to believe at your wife will be cured and it is very true there are stage3 being cured out there.  Everyone is very different and out come will be vary as well.  Most important right now is to preparing for her chemo, what are side effects and what she will expereince.  It will be very helpful if you already have an idea in your mind.  You can awlays come here or on line to get the answers.  Hope it helps!  Thank you for taking care your wife, please take care yourself for her.

Ovary to liver ( from surface then to the inside) can be spread by just local there is no wall between them.

Peace and Love

jun
I just hung up with a friend...stage 3C....on June 8th we are celebrating her 5 year anniversary....I know someone else stage 3B, a 21 year survivior....there are people that beat the odds.  Hold on to that thought!!!!

Best of luck,
Pam
My wife was diagnosed with Stage III ovarian cancer in June of 2005 and had surgary in Aug 05. After lots of chemo rounds she is still not cancer free, but is still with us and living her life. Everybody reacts different to their meds but hopefully you will have a long time together yet.
I wish your wife the very best and please know that there are a lot of women out there who do live for years after a diagnosis of ovarian cancer. I am glad that your wife has you and that you are so positive about the outcome.
  I do have to say that I do not like all that her Dr is telling you. I will not go into it now, but should you have questions in the future, I would be more than happy to try and explain things to you.
   Chris