Ovarian Cancer Community
Prophylactic Oophorectomy...
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Prophylactic Oophorectomy...

Hello all. First time here.
Reaching out to see what others experiences have been....
My mother, grandmother, and possibly great grandmother all had or died of ovarian cancer. The question is:
Should I get ovaries out? (would also get uterus out). I just turned 30. I am going to get a second opinion, the first being I should have the surgery. I have three sisters and two of them had a total hyster oophor at 30 and 31, the third sister refuses to do that.
Does anyone have any information they could share with me? Thanks.
3 Comments
Blank
155056_tn?1333642288
I suggest meeting with a gyn/oncologist and possibly speak to someone about genetic testing.  

Not an easy decision to make.  Have you had children?  30 years is a bit young to go through surgery like this unless it is necessary.  

Please speak with doctors, etc before making this decision.

Best of luck to you, and good for you for being so proactive.
Blank
136849_tn?1327325110
You absolutely have a strong history unfortunately and it would be wise to speak with a gyn/oncologist.  This disease does not discrimate with age either.  I agree with NYC Lady, it's never an easy decision to make, but I also assume, that due to your history, that you are agressively monitoring your health as well.
I would speak with a gyn/oncologist, your husband and family and make an informed decision.  Best of luck to you.

I am sorry this disease has grasped ahold of your family to tightly.
Blank
A related discussion, Update: Had the surgery was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ovarian Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank