Ovarian Cancer Community
QUILT

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

QUILT

I have been away form my computer for several days and saw that there is indeed enough interest to make a memory quilt for Becky and maybe one for Deandra.  If you have any questions or suggestions, please post them here.  I will post again tomorrow with an address to send items to.  If you are unable to make a quilt square, I can make one for you from any kind of fabric.  My favorite quilt pieces are made from t-shirts or anything that can be cut up into a quilt square.  Size does not matter.  If you do not sew, you can go to a fabric store and buy fabric sheets that can be run through a printer.  This makes it easy to use a picture or scan a design from your computer.  Put your thinking caps on and let's get this done. :)  Ty sent me a picture a few months ago and I will make it into a square.  If anyone is in touch with Becky or Deandra's family, they may want to send me something that is special to them to add.  One thing I always thought would be good is the PJ's that Ty bought for Becky that she always talked about........
I wish I could have done this for her before she passed. She and I discussed it and she was getting stuff together to send me.  I wonder if she started a collection.....

Peace!
Heidi

I've read that Deandra loved the sea turtles and of course there's the hair styling she did. Those are two things we could include. Don't forget purple too.
Ireneo has sent a beautiful square, the picture is now her avatar.  Let's get this project going.  Who else would like to contribute a square or t-shirt or picture, etc?  No need to be a professional to contribute to this project.  

Heidi
I'm no professional, that's for sure. Most of the quilts I've made (that I can count on one hand) were lots of squares put together. This one was squares cut out, then some cut on the diagonal, then stitched together. All straight lines. That's the extent of my talent. :-)
I would love to contribute something.  I had alittle poem that I would love to put on a quilt square, just have no clue how to do it.  Can't sew or am not the crafty type.  Or if you need $$ for supplies, or supplies in general, I would love to help, but count me in.  Jane
So far I have only 2 squares.  Please, if you are wanting to send a square, let me know.  I think this could be awesome.

Heidi
Two squares for Becky's or Deandra's? Is there any way I can help some other people that would like to add a square? Tell me what you'd like to see on it and maybe I can help put something together.

irene
I am sending one, and Cheryl is sending one.  Are we for sure doing one for Deandra's family?  If so, I will send one for her, as well.  I am also enclosing a check to help with expenses on the supplies it will take for the rest of the quilt, not to mention your time and talent.  Please send me a PM with your address.  It should arrive sometime next week.  

Thanks!

Gail
I have 2 squares for Becky.  If I get enough stuff for a quilt for Deandra, I will also make one.  No need to send $.  I am just interested in getting squares OR stuff that I can make into a quilt square.  ANYTHING made out of fabric will work nicely!  T-shirts make awesome squares.  Thanks so much!!!!

PEACE!
Heidi
Also...
If anyone is friends with family members of Becky and Deandra, please ask them if they want to add anything to the quilt.  Again, thanks for the offer of $$, but it is not needed.

Heidi
I just sent a note to Ashley, asked how everyone is doing and asked for ideas of things Becky loved. Everything from food to books to TV shows. :-)  We can incorporate those some how. I just remembered: maybe we could include something related to Disneyland.

irene
I have some Disney World theme fabric and will also use a picture of them from their trip.  Thanks for sending Ashley a note.
Keep the ideas and stuff coming, please.

Heidi
Favorite Fabric .com has OVCA theme fabric.   If you purchase it, they will make a donation to OVCA research.  Just an idea.....

Heidi
Any more ideas?
I'm sorry: I never posted Ashley's answers to my questions. Here's what she suggested:

her favourite TV shows were 90210!!!, Say Yes to the Dress, Grey's Anatomy, medical shows, etc. She loved the farm, her dog, Ralphy, anything to do with Tyson - Santa's Village, Disney, the playground, swimming, baseball. I'm not too sure of her favourite colour - liked pink, teal ;), green, etc. Tim Hortons coffee, casino, lottery tickets
Need more squares, please pm me if you are interested in sending something to add to the quilt(s).

Heidi
Do you have an approximate idea of how many you might need? I do hope our lovely friends here will find something to help: a t-shirt with a great coffee logo on the front (it can be trimmed out and used for a square), some material at the fabric store that is a panel that has a picture on it or looks like a quilt square, how about light denim with metal buttons  on it like bib overalls (Becky liked farm related things). Those are just a few ideas. C'mon folks - don't be shy.
I promise I am sending one.  But my mom is helping me and she's went on vacation.  As soon as we get it together, I will send it out ASAP!

Gail
Not sure about how many squares I need.  I will just work with what I get.  

Jane ordered fabric from the link I posted and I received it today.  She picked out some really nice ones!!!!  She sent.....Mickey Mouse Fleece, OVCA ribbons, Farm, Coffee and Sea Turtles for Deandra on a beautiful teal background.  

I also talked to Ashley on FB and she found the quilt squares that Becky had set aside to send and is also sending me a t-shirt from the OVCA walk.  

Keep the ideas and fabric/squares/t-shirts coming!!  I need more stuff for Deandra.  

Thanks everyone!!!!

PEACE!
Heidi
Great! I'll finish up what I got for Becky and then will start on goodies for Deandra. Wasn't sure if you were going ahead with that one as well. You are wonderful for doing this.

irene

Anymore ideas for the quilt(s)?  I found some really nice beach fabric today for Deandra's.

Heidi
I need to scroll back through past posts and look for the ideas for Deandra's. I've forgotten them already. If you have a list, would you mind posting it here? This "quilt" thread is easy to find. All I see is sea turtles, hair styling and purple. There was more than that (I think).
let me know if you guys still need anything, I followed these wonderful ladies for years and just found this post.  I have t shirts that have themes from so much, I am sure I can send a few for each of them.  Let me know the addy if you still need something.
Heidi - I sent you a private message....I have a bunch of precut squares of different teal fabrics....got them from Blank Quilting.....I want to send them to you.  Please be certain to send me your address.  
Unfortunately, right now, my spare time is going to working on organizing our walk, so I don't have time to attempt to be creative on my own....but, I know that these squares will help.  Thank you and everyone else for making this happen.
Pam
I called Deandra's salon today to ask if they had t-shirts with the salon name on them.  They did not.  I told him why I was calling and he gave me Luke's #.  I just can't bring myself to call him.  Does anyone on here know Luke?  I know if I call him I will sound like an idiot and start crying.......  I am a big goober that way.  

My wish list of quilt things.....
Tim Horton's t-shirt
OVCA warrior shirt
Anything that was important to Becky

West End Salon t-shirt (or something like that)
Hair dresser fabric or t-shirt
A wedding picture
Anything else that was important to Deandra

Thanks for all the help on this.  My kids go back to school Tuesday and I will then spend a bunch of time getting this going.  If you haven't sent me your contribution, please try to send it asap!  

Peace!
Heidi
I went back over some posts about Deandra and here are some things I came up with. True, in some cases you have to think outside the box and get creative but here we go:

Luke's beautiful hazel eyes, West End Salon (the name of her place), married 20 June 2009, Hawaii, New York City, vanilla malts, sea turtles, the color purple and rottweilers (like her dog). These are all things that she enjoyed. Hope it helps stir up some ideas.
I am sending you some fabric from the website. I am ordering it and sending it directly to you Heidi, so just let me know when you get it. I ordered 5, one of which is an panel for Becky's. If you can't use it for her, then you can use it for someone else. It is a child's panel for Tyson.  The other 1/2 yards are one of baseballs, one hair one, and two beach type ones. I hope they work! If not for this, use for something else.

Colleen
PERFECT Colleen!!!!  Thanks so much!  I will let you know when it arrives!

I bought a big teddy bear piece today and will put TY on it for TYBEAR.

I am actually working on some of the stuff today and it is looking great!!!!!

Heidi
Got the squares today, they are beautiful!!!  The colors are so bright and awesome!
Thanks so much!

I also got in the mail today a T-shirt transfer that says......My mom was so brave, God made her an angel and it has the OVCA ribbon on it.  

Again, thanks for all the help.  I know Becky and Deandra would be so touched by the out pour of love!!!!

Heidi
I like that t-shirt. Brings tears to my eyes.
Love that t-shirt, too!  I am meeting my mom tonight and we are going to hopefully get the square ready to send out in the mail.  I also have some teal ribbon fabric I used last year for our forum get-together if you would like some of that.  I think someone else may be sending some, but I have quite a bit if you need more.  Cheryl, the MedHelp Community Manager is also going to send some squares.  Hopefully ours will be there by the first of next week!

Gail
I'm excited - bought some fabric for a couple of squares for Deandra. The colors are rich and exciting. Now to figure out how to use them.  :-)
Hey ladies,
Just want to say "Thank You" so much for doing this. It means so much to all of us! I sure understand why Becky considered you all a close group of friends:) Your wonderful people!  
I keep checking back here and on Facebook for updates - I cannot wait to see it. I'm going to get the items requested mailed off today (sorry for the delay).
If there's anything else I can do to help - just let me know.
Ash
How wonderful to see you here. Yes, the support and encouragement is amazing on this board. And how are you doing now? Each day gets a little easier and the memories sweeter.
Ashley - So glad you joined us.....just having you here is bringing tears to my eyes....I often think about you, Ty and Adam and wonder how you are all holding up.

Your sister meant the world to all of us.  She was a big part of our family.  Wish there was more we could do....when is your walk this year?

All my love Pam

Heidi - have a small package heading to you...you should recieve it in a day or two...thanks for doing this!!!!
Hi Ashley!!!!  Thanks for your help on this!!!!!

I found the fabric for the back of the quilt.  It is pink/purple/teal fleece and it says angel on it.  I got enough for both quilts.  

Heidi
Thank you...were all doing well. Its certainly nice living so close together - all have one another there. Ty is doing good - he has his moments (as expected) but, for the most part - you can tell his Mommy prepared him so well for this - just amazing. The other day he was wearing Mommy's striped socks. Another cute story, his Aunt Amy took the kids to Santa's Village (kids amusment park) - and when on a ride - there was an empty seat beside him and Ty said "Mommy's sitting there - she's having fun" so sweet.
Nice to hear from you all.
I appreciate all your friendships with Becky and truly admire all of you and all you've been through.
We are doing the "Winners Walk of Hope" walk on Sept 12th. This year will be hard but, it is for Becky and all ladies fighting this disease and who have fought this disease that we do it for! All the more reason to do it.
I am going to post on Becky's Caringbridge about the walk.
xo
Ashley
OMG that just brought tears to my eyes about the amusement park, what a sweatheart that child.  

Ashley I am doing a Walk on the 12th also here in Maryland, Break the Silence on Ovarian Cancer.  I am doing a banner called the Faces of Ovarian Cancer, and am honoring alot of these wonderful women here on this forum, including Becky and Deandra.  This day will be very special.
Thank you Ashley for posting the story on here. Breaks my heart thinking about Tyson but he seems to be doing as well as can be expected!!

I hope to do a walk here in Orlando. I need to check out the site they have here and see what is going on.  Angie did a baking/coffee fundraiser over in England that was successful.  

We have lost so many on here and although these quilts are for Deandra and Becky, memories of Jan and Donna, Chris, all come to my mind each time I read this. Beautiful women always.

colleen
Got some more fabric in the mail today....thanks ladies!!!

Heidi
My squares are finally finished and will be heading your way on  Monday
Haven't received anything in a few days.  If you have stuff, please send it.  Thanks!

Heidi
I have 2 squares done for Deandra's quilt. Working on another but it has some cross stitch and will take longer. Do you want the 2 that are done? Do you want the cross stitch one or will that take too long?  I'm flexible, whatever is best for you.
@Ireneo, I will take all of them :)

Anyone know how to email me a picture of Deandra and Luke from their wedding? The pictures on FB aren't very clear.  Please let me know if anyone can help me with this.  I have Luke's phone # but really don't want to call him since I don't know him......

Thanks everyone!
Heidi
Anyone still have the link to the memorial? There were tons of great pictures there. Any way to pull one or two off of that?  Excuse my computer ignorance.

I'm going to simplify the cross stitch block so I can get it to you ASAP.  Been working on it tonight.
Jane sent me some AWESOME pictures!!!!  Thanks so much!  

This is really coming together!  

I got some stuff from Ashley today and 2 squares from Gail......YAY!!!!!

Heidi
This is exciting. Sounds like the quilts will be a good size for snuggling, not just lap quilts. Remember, we'd love to see the progress. I know it's a  lot of work for you and I can't say thank you loud enough or often enough. Love your generous heart.
Met with my friend today that is doing the sublimation photos for the quilt.  One is of Becky and Ty, the other is Luke and Deandra on their wedding day, facing the ocean.  Both are AMAZING pics!!!  My friend couldn't believe that both have passed away.  He was shocked!!!!

Jane - thanks for getting me the wedding pic and thanks to Ashley for Becky and Ty's pic!!!

I will keep y'all updated.  I am still waiting on a couple more things to arrive.

Heidi
I received Cheryl's contribution from Med Help yesterday.  Things are coming along nicely.  I haven't done much sewing on it yet.  I am waiting on a couple of more items.  I haven't got the picture fabric back yet but it is supposed to be here today.  I will keep y'all updated and start posting pictures soon.  Again...thanks everyone!!!!!

Heidi
The pictures were no problem, for being computer illiterate, I was amazed that I did it LOL.  I was going to send you my grandsons Tshirt from our Ovarian Cancer Walk this Sunday, will get it out in the mail Monday morning, is that ok, or too late?  Jane
That would be great!!! Thanks!
I am just jumping in here late as usual but want to help if you still need anything. I have two friends who can help me help you. One is a quilting expert and one has an embroidery machine. Does that have any interest? I can paint something special on a piece of fabric for you if you like also, just let me know what. A favorite flower maybe? I'll do whatever, whenever. If you still need me. I hope I am not too late.  I think it's an awesome idea, you ladies are the best!!!
Did you ever get the Timmy's Tshirt? I can maybe get you one of those too. Let me know.
Yes!!!!  You are welcome to contribute.  Any of those ideas would be awesome. I never got a Tim Hortons shirt.  If you have one, I would love to add it!

Thanks!
Heidi
Ireneo - got your squares and they are OUTSTANDING!!!!  You have done so much!!!!  Thank you!  I got Cheryl's contribution from Med Help as well, thanks so much!

If anyone has anything else, please send it ASAP!!!  Remember, t-shirts work really really well!!!  I wish I had something from West End Salon!  

Peace!
Heidi
Have you tried to contact them? They have a website. I was hoping to incorporate at least the name of the salon on the one block I made. Ran out of time.
I talked to a Mgr there and he gave me Luke's # to call.  I was just going to email the shop but it is Deandra's email.  I really don't want to call Luke, I will be a puddle of tears.....

Heidi
OK, what about this:  I just went to their website and on the home page is the name of the salon in big letters and a tilted photo of the front of the salon. Can you print it out on that special paper and transfer that to a piece of material? They would all recognize the logo and photo and probably be thrilled.
I think I have a plan B for the salon stuff.
I have a t-shirt from last year's weekend in Chicago that I'll get in the mail tomorrow. It has the MedHelp logo on the back and our weekend OvCa stuff on the front. If I have two, I'll send one for each.

Gail
Just reading the progress and it sounds wonderful. I can't wait to see the finished products and you are truly an angel Heidi for doing these!! Love you al, Colleen
Gail and Jane...

Got your t-shirts....they are PERFECT!!!!!  Thanks so much!!!
Things are moving along slowly.  I have a couple of things I am still waiting on.  I promise I will keep you updated!

Heidi
Picked up the sublimation pictures yesterday for the quilt.  I put them on my facebook page.  I did get something to represent the West End Salon too.  Everything has arrived (as far as I know)  I have to adjust a few more squares I am putting together and then it is assembly time.  I am excited and nervous because I have only made t-shirt quilts prior to this project.  Thanks for all the stuff you have sent me and the LOVE you all have put into this. I promise to post updates and pictures.

Just a side note....my dad is in the hospital and any prayers you can pass along would be greatly appreciated!!!

Happy 10-10-10!!!!

PEACE!
Heidi
It sounds like these quilts are going to be absolutely gorgeous.

I am sorry to hear about your dad, will keep him and your family in my thoughts and Prayers.
Jane
I can't wait to see them! I will try and look on your FB page!! Many prayers for your dad, please let us know how he is doing!
Hugs,
Colleen
Haven't made much progress because my dad has been sick but he is out of the hospital now and I am ready to dive back in to the project!  

Got a very sweet thank you note from Ty today, thanking me for sending him the "my mom is an angel" OVCA shirt.  He drew me a very cute picture, what a sweetie.  There will be one of those t-shirts on the quilt too.

Hope everyone is well!!!!

Heidi

Laughter is timeless.....Imagination has no age.....Dreams are forever.  

I found this on a Mickey Mouse fabric and I added the saying below each of their pictures.

I am getting close to assembling the quilt.  I have a few more squares to fix and then it is on to assembly.  

I will post some pictures tomorrow on my FaceBook. I may need some suggestions on how to arrange some of the squares.

Thanks for all the help!!!!
Heidi
Ok - I just put some pictures on my FaceBook.  Keep in mind that these squares are not yet complete.  Let me know what you think, suggestions, etc.

Heidi
What you posted is great, beautiful pictures. I don't know how to tell you to assemble them as I am not that creative but I know Irene will speak up and she will have good ideas! You have done a fantastic job Heidi, can't thank you enough!
Hugs,
Colleen
I'm wondering how you're "fixing" them. Putting borders on each to make them all the same size? That's what I would tend to do to make assembly easier. If you have multiple sizes which would be expected, you can use coordinating fabrics for plain blocks with no designs (a subtle print would be good) to fill in some gaps.

The layout will be a challenge. Balancing colors and sizes in a mixed quilt like this is not easy. It's like making a scrap quilt. All you can do is lay them out, stand back and look. Shuffle things around, stand back and look again. The farther away you stand, the better feel you'll get for lights and darks and colors. When you're up close all the designs are distracting.

Saw your pictures on FB. You have some wonderful blocks to work with. Wish I was there to see them all and help.  

Thanks for the suggestions.......

On Becky's, her picture is so big that the smaller squares will frame it and the larger squares frame that.  I always lay it all out and change it a million times before I sew it.  I made some new squares today and redid Deandra's salon square 3 times......I like it now.  haha!!!

I will post some more pictures soon.

I was working on it today and I got to the squares that Becky cut out for Tyson.....Spiderman.  As I was putting her squares together, I just sat and cried between stitches.  I kept wondering what she was thinking as she was cutting them for a memory quilt for her.  

I hope these quilts mean to the families half as what these BRAVE ladies meant to us and this forum.

PEACE!!!
Heidi    
I saw the pictures. They are wonderful. Love the hairdressing blocks you make for Deandra. The Spiderman block is precious. Beautifully done.
You're doing such a wonderful job on these.  I am so impressed.  I know the families will be, as well.  You have the hard part...not only assembling everything, but dealing with the emotion of each square coming together and seeing them built from the ground up.  

I saw the Spiderman block, too.  Very sweet!!
Finished all the squares for Becky and now trying to assemble them.  I put more pics on FB, let me know what you think.  I had to adjust some of the squares people sent me.  On most of them,I just added a border and a couple of them I made a tad smaller.  The top panel is all about Becky.  The middle panel is Becky and family.  The bottom panel is mostly about Ty.  I will probably rearrange it a few times before I start putting the black sashing on.

I did have 2 squares I was not sure on what quilt they should go so I added them to the Deandra pile because she has less stuff than Becky.

Hope that is ok with everyone.

Today is Becky's bday.....lots of good thoughts for her today.

Heidi
I am flying to Toronto and possibly meeting up with Ashley to deliver the quilt.  I have lots of sewing to do..........

:)

Heidi
I got your note,checked for updated pictures. Nothing yet but it sounds like you're very busy with the quilt. I know the feeling. I'm still trying to finish a baby quilt before the baby gets here (any day now). No pressure of course.  LOL
DONE!!!!  Becky's quilt is finished and I am ready to hop on a plane and deliver it Ashley.  I will take lots of pictures.  I am excited and nervous.  THANKS everyone for your contributions, it was an awesome project!!!

On to Deandra's  :)

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.........

Heidi
Oh Wow that is awesome, I can't believe you are hand delivering it too.  Have a safe trip.  I know it's going to be such an emotional trip.  If you don't mind will you post a few pics here in your profile, as I don't do facebook.  Can hardly wait to see it.  Send Becky's Family our Well Wishes!!
Quilt #1 delivered,  It was such an HONOR to be able to deliver it and meet Ashley and Adam.  Ashley posted some pics on facebook of Ty and the quilt.  She also gave me a thank you card signed by the whole family, brought tears to my eyes.  I will post later what the family wanted all of us to know.  

Again, THNANK YOU to everyone who contributed!!!!  Irene - your squares were beautiful and I appreciate you making all of the extra squares as well, you are so talented.  

On to Deandra's........

Much love and PEACE!!!

Heidi
I can imagine what an emotional but endearing meeting that must of been.  Thank YOU so much for doing all this work and taking on with delivering it personally, that is truly wonderful.  You are a wonderful person.  Would love to see pics, maybe when you can you could post here under your portfolio.  Not like you have nothing to do LOL  Bless your heart for doing such a wonderful thing.

Jane
I loved the pictures on FaceBook, especially where little Ty is laid out on the quilt with a big smile on his face. That's what this was about - sharing our love with them and hoping they could feel all the warmth and love in the quilt. One of the best things I've ever had the chance to be part of (excuse the poor grammar).
We can't thank you enough Heidi for doing the quilt. It is beautiful and one of the most special things I have ever been a part of and I thank you with all my heart. I know that Ty will cherish it and love it forever.
Hugs to you,
Colleen
Hey ladies...I added a few of the pictures on my profile so you can check them out there! Thank you from all of us - I cannot say it enough - it brought tears to everyone who saw it hear. Absolutely beautiful and a wonderful keepsake for Tyson. Becky sure met some wonderful, caring ladies on here! Hugs.
(PS...cant wait to see Deandra's come together) :)
Ashley
THANKS so much for posting the pictures!  It was so nice meeting you and Adam.  Hope your family has a Blessed Christmas!

Heidi