Ovarian Cancer Community
Question about CT scan - URGENT!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Question about CT scan - URGENT!

I have a question about the CT scan.
On my moms report it says 'subcentimeter anterior midline and right paracolic gutter implants remain'.

The doctor said this could be scar tissue. But they want her to have a PET scan done.

With her CA-125 down to 16...does it make sense this is just scar tissue? Has anyone heard of this 'gutter implants'.

The doctor of course was non-commital. The doc said that the CT scan showed that the gutter implants were a dense tight mass which was different from the regular cells. Could this be scar tissue? Or does this sound like remnants of the disease? I know theres nothing I can do and we just have to wait for the PET scan, but Im feeling devastated right now. But her CA-125 got down to 16, Im hoping this means its just scar tissue.

Anyone?
You will just have to wait for the additional testing, Alan.  I know that it is difficult to wait, but there is nothing more the doctors can tell you from this image report.

Yes, some pathologists and doctors refer to the lower portion of that area of the body as a "gutter."   It is like a dip or channel into which fluids collect.  Surgery can intensify the shape of the body as well.   (We have other odd medical terms like "pelvic cul de sac", and "pouch of Douglas", too!)

However, you did not clarify --- is that all that is seen?  Even if these are remaining cancer tumors, that is great news.  Some women never see their disease confined to such a small mass.
off hand I dont know...I dont have the report in front of me...I vaguely remember no free flowing fluid no ascites.

I think this was the only thing to prompt the PET scan.

But still - she just had all her chemo done...does she have to start again?  How much more can she take?  The day after the PET scan she has an appointment with her surgeon - I guess they want him to do an internal exam?  But the doc did say the CA-125 dropping down to 16 is very good.  Im praying this is just scar tissue.  I was so blindsighted by this and my mom sounds so bummed and I dont blame her.  I want this to go away and for her to be healthy again!
Also you know what they mean by "'subcentimeter anterior midline"

Also, please tell me the truth...can this very well be scar tissue?
Subcentimeter is less than a cm in front of the mid area.  Scarring is possible anytime anything foreign has been introduced to the body. Pneumonia scars the lungs whether it is from cancer or just because you have sick. Scarring is natural form of healing.  The PET will give you many more answers.  Just calm down and wait for the results.  The fact that her tumor markers have decreased is great news.
Thank you for the support.

But scar tissue can be described as "implants"?

Do women get subcentimeter scarring?

Also how does scar tissue differ from regular cells?

She was done with chemo, so God forbid of anything, what do they do?  More chemo? Radiation? Surgery?

Do the doctors truly not know which it is which is why they are doing the PET scan?  OR do they suspect what it is and the PET scan is to confirm?

This is truly a nightmare.
A PET will best show if her cancer has spread or has come back.  It could be scarring and as you know it could be something else.  You are not going to know for sure until the PET comes back.  Cancer will show as "uptake or hot spots" and if it is scarring it will not take the "sugar compound" as heavy.  It is a scary time but worry is not going to give you anymore answers it will only take away from your quality of life.  I can only imagine how you feel but please tr not to worry until all tests are in.