Ovarian Cancer Community
Questions about clinical trials

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Questions about clinical trials

I am looking into second opinions about my treatment plan (currently recommended to do doxil and topotecan) and will be looking into clinical trials as options (trials are about hope and that's what I need!).  Has anyone done a clinical trial?  What questions should I ask?  When you sign up for a trial, do you know stats about the drugs beforehand?  I'm new to this so any advice is welcome.  Best, Libby
Hi Libby... Just my thoughts here... but I would be inclined to stay on 'tried and true' drugs, before going on a trial. If you are battling cancer that seems to be spreading, then I feel it's best to stay on chemo that you know/expect to give you some good results, at least. I've not been on a trial, as I haven't exhausted all of the options already available, but I know of women who have done trials, and they tell me that there is no guarantee that you will be given the trial drug. You could be given something already available, so I guess that's a chance that you take if you sign up for a trial. Also a couple of women say that they wouldn't consider a trial unless it's at least Phase 3. By being Phase 3, then there is at least some stats as to how it's working... whether with some success or not.
.I hope you are feeling well.... and maybe you could get some further ideas from another Oncol. apart from the one you already have. Sometimes a new Doctor will have new ideas... so it's worth the try, if you are not doing so well. Best wishes...hugs...Helen...
I did a clinical trial but was drawn in the control group.  (they are still monitoring me three years later I am probably upsetting the statistics a bit) I think you need to know what stage of trial they are at, what known toxicities there are and what response rates are (there is not much point in taking something that has a 5% chance of working when there is still something out there for you to try that has a 25% chance say)
I would strongly encourage you to check into trials.  I just finished a 22 treatment trial.  I also heard a lot about trials at the ovca conference last year.  I know several women that have had good results.  The best way to check them out is to go to www.clinicaltrials.org.  You can get more info about phases, etc. Hope you do well.
one more thing....be sure to get your second opinion at a major cancer center.