Ovarian Cancer Community
Recommended number of rounds of Avastin

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Recommended number of rounds of Avastin

I am curious how many rounds is reccomended for Avastin.
I am not in a clinical trial- how many rounds of chemotherapy should one have with Avastin.I have already completed 8 rounds with Carbo & taxol and 5 of them were with Avastin.  Should I continue longer with Avastin.
This is my second time through chemo. first time had 6 rounds of just carbo & taxol.  My diagnosis was fallopian tube cancer stage IIC.
I think it depends on what your scans show.  How long have you been taking avastin?  Are you taking anything else with it?  The one thing my doctor said about avastin is that there is not a limit on how long you can have it like Doxil or any platinum drugs which have a limit.  So my doctor said we will continue with avastin/cytoxan until it quits working.

Best of luck
I agree...I took Avastin for 9 rounds and would still be on it today if it weren't so darn expensive! If you can stay on in and tolerate the side effects, then why not?
It's not like many of the other chemotherapy drugs out there in that it's not as toxic.
Good luck with things,
Becky
How long have you been on the avastin and cytoxin? How often do you have scans?  I have just started this comb 2 months ago.  I will have a CT scan on Nov 20th to see how effective it is.  My CA 125 has come down to 12, so I think it is working.  My dr also did not place a limit on how long I would be on the drug.  So far, zero side effects!  I love it.