Ovarian Cancer Community
Recovery time after laproscopic ovary & cyst removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I found out today I have a 5cm cyst on my ovary and that the entire ovary will be removed laproscopically (it is benign-c125 was negative).  

The surgery is in mid April on a Friday and my Dr. says I will be able to go back to work on the following Monday (I have a desk job).  However, the surgery is scheduled during the middle of training for my first sprint triathlon in mid-May (1/2 mile swim, 12 mile bike and 3 mile run). I managed to arrange the surgery  for the week after a marathon, but given the size of the cyst, he didn't want to wait until after the triathlon for the surgery.

How long should I expect the recovery period to be before I can resume my training?

One thing I read said avoid "strenous exercise" for 2 weeks.  No one seems to define that term. Since I run (very slowly) marathons, a 3 mile run is not at all strenuous for me.

I am 46 and at the correct weight for my size.
    Everyone is different, but going back to work the Monday after your surgery on Friday may be wishful thinking. I don't know as I'd count on that.. It's usually a good week before you feel like doing too much. They really like you to wait 2 weeks before driving, heavy lifting or housework like vacuuming, heavy yard work, etc. ... Regarding the training... hmmmm .. the problem is that even though you may feel fine and the little incisions look great, there is still healing going on internally .. May be just me, but that sure sounds like you may be pushing it just a little .You certainly don't want to strain anything internally.. That would be no fun and you'd really be laid up !
     I felt just fine after a few days, and went to my first week checkup to get the stitches out with no problems.  I would have driven myself had I been permitted.. Now, I'm older than you and I'm sure not in as good shape as you are, but I have to tell you... some women on this forum have been laid low for longer than I was.and they were a whole lot younger.. . so it's all very individual.
I just think the training may be pushing it.. but you might  ask your Dr. what his opinion is.
     Good luck and let us know,
Sandy

Oh.. come see us on the Ovarian Cyst forum. This one is for Ovarian Cancer...

Sandy

I just had a 10cm cyst removed yesterday (but they were able to save my ovary). I am also a runner, and I did a half-marathon 2 days before surgery. The surgery went fine except that I was dehydrated afterwards, which the nurses didn't realize, so I had to endure a painful catheter and stay several extra hours until I could pee on my own. Today I feel okay, but I don't think I will be able to run (even slowly) for the recommended 2 weeks because it's a bit painful just to stand and walk slowly. I don't want to bounce anything around in there. My husband recommended doing stationary muscle flexes while resting because he had to take time off running due to shin splints awhile back, and that's what his coach recommended during his recovery. But see how you feel. And drink a lot of water after your marathon so you're not dehydrated after surgery!

Erin