Ovarian Cancer Community
Recurrence of cancer after hysterectomy done for Ovarian cancer stage 1...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Recurrence of cancer after hysterectomy done for Ovarian cancer stage 1C

I am 43 years old. In year 2006, I have a large cyst of 9 cm found near my left ovary which during that time, my doctor had removed my left ovary, left fallopian tube, omentum. It was diagnose as having borderline cyst. There is no cancer found. However, during the operation, the cyst ruptured and my doctor has stage it to be Ovarian Cancer stage 1c. I was monitored every 4 months. In December 2008, I had another cyst of 12cm found near my remaining right ovary. My doctor performed a hysterectomy operation on me and he also has proceed to remove my right pelvic lymph nodes as well. It was found to be cancer and it was confined to my right ovary only and I was diagnosed as stage 1c. My CA125 was 40 at that time. I have also went for CT Scan. It was normal. However, my doctor had suggested that I should go for 6 cycles of chemotherapy which I had just completed. My CA125 was 5.5 now. My question is what is my chances of recurrence of the cancer. Would I still get cancer later although I have done hysterectomy? Where is the likely areas in my body that I would get?
1 Comment
I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer stage 1 and had chemotherapy too, because I had a rare grade 3 type of cancer my oncologist thought that it would give me the best chance of a cure. Like me , you are very lucky that the cancer was caught in stage I , we have a better chance than a lot of ladies that unfortunately are not diagnosed until stage 3 and 4.    Its not possible to predict if you or I will have a reccurance but I am now 3 years out from diagnosis and feel very lucky up til now. I asked my oncologist , how would I know if the cancer had reccured ? I was told that I would get stomach pains , and yes you can still get cancer even though you have had a hysterectomy . Try not to worry because as I said we are very lucky to have been caught early with this awful disease , we have a better chance than most of a cure and for that I thank my lucky stars !! .

Best wishes to you , Angie