Ovarian Cancer Community
Recurring Ovarian Cysts after Oophorectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

First, important point: My mother died of ovarian cancer January 2009, at the age of 76.  My main concern after that was getting my ovaries removed (I had a hysterectomy in 1994, at the age of 37.)

In September, 2010, after it was discovered that I had several ovarian cysts, I had surgery to remove them and my ovaries, tubes, and scar tissue.  

March 2012, I had ovarian cysts removed again.  Note that these cysts have caused no pain, but a very swollen & bloated abdomen.

In the past year, I have dropped 14 pounds - yay!  However, about 2 months ago, I noticed that my abdomen was bloated again.  I went to the dr today & have an ultrasound scheduled in about a week & a half to check for cysts.  My husband thinks I need to find a new doctor.  I understand that this could keep happening over and over.  

What causes this to keep happening?  I like and trust my doctor, but am wondering if I should get a 2nd opinion.  Not sure what to do now.

Thank you!
Gynecological issues are tough. This stuff is inside where Doctors can't see it. I have the best Doctors in the world and they miss things.

You can always get a second opinion I did. It is not against your Doctor.

Alex
Keep in mind that ovarian cancer is very tough to catch because it tends to present very late with vague symptoms (abdominal pain, ascites/bloating, increased urinary frequency, etc), and they have yet to come up with an efficient screening method. It also tends to spread locally rather than via the blood or lymph nodes.

If you were my mother/sister/aunt, I would tell you to go get a second opinion simply based on your history and that it's so tough to detect. Even if the next physician you visit advises the same treatment course then at least you have two different medical opinions, which would hopefully provide you with a little more peach of mind.

Chris (Medical Student)