Ovarian Cancer Community
Right Abdominal pain and free fluid in cul-de-sac

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I have been experiencing pain on right side since November just prior to resuming menstruation in December 2005 after birth of 3rd child in May 2005 and nursing.  Pain has moved to front right side, seems to be worst with periods.  I also have pain in right hip area.  I have very little appetite and bowel problems as well.  Had CT in December - showed bilateral adnexal fullness and followed up with ultrasound with no findings.  Just had another ultrasound and it showed endometrial stripe 3mm.  No adnexal mass bilaterally.  There is subcentimeter physiologic appearing follicles in ovaries bilaterally and scant amount of free fluid in the cul-de-sac.  MY OBGYN has not been as proactive as I would like.  Am seeing another OBGYN on the 25th.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  Is this ovarian cancer? Could it be endometriosis?  Please help!
It could be endometriosis since you notice increased pain associated with the beginning of your menstrual cycle.  Then again, bearing a child, followed by nursing the child, tends to relieve some of the endometriosis.  (During that time, there is less estrogen so the endo implants tend to shrink, and in some cases, they resolve nearly completely.)

It seems more likely to me, in view of the scant fluid in the cul-de-sac, that  you have suffered hemorrhagic cysts.

As for ovca, well, I guess it could be...someone has to be responsible for those odd cases that do not fit into the normal statistical means! :)  Seriously, though, statistically speaking, it is not likely to be ovca.

I think that it is great that you will seek the advise of another gyn.  Keep looking for the proper attention to your condition!
Thanks to both of you.  I am very new at all of this terminology.  What are functional cysts?  Hemorrhagic cysts?  What is the typical treatment for these?  Any questions/tests I should be asking of my doctor?
Thank you again! So the free fluid is probably an indicator that I had a functional cyst and it burst? Should I be concerned that it burst? Is it common to have these and not show on ultrasounds/CT scans?  I had CT and Ultrasound in Dec with no findings and only free fluid in April ultrasound.  I have had the symptoms for almost 6 months now and getting worse not better.  Are what they say as physiologic appearing follicles in ovaries just normal or are these indicators of these functional cysts?  Sounds like I should ask for some form of birth control pills to regulate my hormones - any recommendations?
Functional cysts occur sometimes with ovulation.  They are  filled with clear fluid and usually go away/dissolve on their own.  Hemmoraghic cysts are functional cysts which for some reason have some bleeding leaking into them.  They can also go away on their own.  Sometimes functional cysts twist or rupture, causing severe pain (similar to appendicitis pain).  Endometriosis can also lead to cysts called endometriomas.  These are sometimes called "chocolate cysts" because when their drained the fluid looks like chocolate syrup.

Good information on ovarian cysts:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ovarian-cysts/DS00129
OBGYN today said the ultrasound above was normal.  I had to ask specifically about the free fluid - she said cysts and fluid are normal and fluid could be from ovulation.  I had my period during the ultrasound.  Irregardless, still pain on right side, fullness/achiness in front right side and achiness into right leg; extreme nausea (i've lost 20 lbs since this all started and am at about my most in shape high school weight and i am so not in shape:)and I just don't feel right.  My periods have been increasingly more painful.  If this was endo I would feel more relief now that my period is over, right?  What else could this be????
Hi, I too had CT scan revealing fluid in culdesac unfortunately mine has been ruled out as endo. please keep me informed of your testing outcomes right now I'm arguing with my doctor to get me in to a gynoncologist I think the word cancer freaks him out more than me well probably not. also mine was large amounts of fluid and I've already had partial hysterectomy
i am 26 years old and the mother of six kids i have had problems with bad periods since i got my first one when i was 14  but for some reason when i had my last child in jan of 2007 it got worse when i got my periods back they have ruled out alot of things but they just keep saying i have cysts that keep bursting i dont understand anything except why do they keep bursting i cant take birth control pills due to  the fact that it gives me pancreatitis from the estrogen is there anything else that can be done      thank you naomi
i had a us on 1-7-09 and it said that i have a hemorrhagic cyst in its inflammatory process and floid in my inutauterin culde sac and a ectopic pregnancy could not be excluded. please help me i dot no what is going on my ob wont do another us what do ido and what does all this mean??????
Please visit the ovarian cyst forum.  You may get more responses if you start your own post there.  This is the ovarian cancer forum.

See you there.
A related discussion, Endometrial Cancer was started.