Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Right Serrated Polyp

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Right Serrated Polyp

Good Morning Dr:After a colonoscopy, I have been diagnosed with a "serrated polyp" which will be removed the beginning of March. My question is, I have been having a lot of discomfort in my right groin for a while now. At times, last night most recently, I get a severe stabbing pain in the groin area which last few a few seconds. This has happened three to four times in the past few months. Usually it's not as severe. More a dull discomfort which can radiate around my hip. I've been thru CT, pelvic & vaginal sonograms. The results of which have come back normal. My question is, could this polyp be causing my discomfort? Thanking you in advance and very appreciative of the service you provide.
Hi There,

sorry about my delay in replying. A serrated polyp is a polyp of the large intestine that is associated with premalignant change. it is sometimes associated with early colon cancers. It sounds like you are getting a good evaluation for this.

I do not think the groin pain is related to the polyp per se. With all those normal x rays, I am thinking of several possibilities . You should ask your doctor about whether your pain could be from a hernia. there are certain hernias in the groin area that can cause pain such as an inguinal hernia or a femoral hernia. Sometimes the only way to diagnoses a hernia is physical examination.

Another possibility is a muscle strain. Finally I would if you could have an inflamed lymph node in the groin region.

A careful physical examination should help pinpoint the exact location of the pain.
let me know what happens

best wishes
akg
May I thank you again for you attention to my concern. Regarding my groin issue, my CT specifically mentioned "no inguinal hernia."Could you possibly be a bit more specific re:the serrated polyp? The more I research,the more anxiety ridden I become.I'm a Breast cancer survivor.I've experienced IBS like symptoms for years after my surgery which have exaccerbated at times. But,I have been checked throughout the years.My breast surgeon(and then the gastroenterologist)recently felt what they thought was a mass on my right lower abdomen.Hence,the testing which aside from polyp,came back with good results.My gynecologist feels nothing. How concerned should I be?When you say"premalignant change" what exactly does that mean?Does that mean a change "before" maligancy?This will be my second colonoscopy in three mos,which he said has to be done in the hospital due to how it's removed and possible bleeding.Is he not being honest with me?
hi There
premalignant means that over time it can change to a cancer. We like to find things at the premalignant stage. if only we could do that with everything!
best wishes to you