Ovarian Cancer Community
Ruptured Ovarian cyst cause months of pain and sickness. Anyone else?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I had an left sided ovarian cyst at least 7cm rupture with fluid in my abdomen. It took over 6 weeks for it to finally dissipate. I am still sick 4 months later.

The day it ruptured, I woke up dizzy, weak, nauseus with an extreme urge to evacuate my bowels. I went to the emergency and the CT scan showed my ruptured cyst with fluid in my abdomen. They sent me home and told me to contact my doctor.

To make a long story short the cyst is now gone, but I have pain in the same ovary area with the pain radiating around my hip and in the front of my leg. My pain seems to be aggravated by exercise and movement. There have been points over the last 4 months where I could not stand or sit for very long without pain and feeling sick to my stomach and a need to sit on the potty.

I just had a sigmoidoscopy test and that is negative. My GYN sent me back to my primary doctor who had me do the test. I really feel like something very wrong happened when my cyst ruptured. Either my ovary attached to my bowel or adhesions began forming with the trauma.

I was diagnosed with this cyst over a year ago and they prescribed BCP which obviously did no good. It took a year for it to finally rupture.

Has anyone else had these same symptoms?

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

Lisa
What tests have they done to see what is going on inside there? Have you had an ultrasound or transvaginal ultrasound...pain is a sign something is wrong....don't allow these guys to ignore your pain...pain is not acceptable. What kind of relationship do you have with your physicians?  Sounds to me like you need to find another gyn....this person clearly is not caring or curious enough to care for women...actually, sounds like both docs are boobs.... your body is telling you something ...pay attention to your body.....and find another doc who will pay attention and listen to you.  Don't be intimidated by these people who are failures in their field...they are not gods....they maybe think they are but they are NOT....you know your body best even if they think they do....your pain is not in your head even if they want you to think it is....don't give up or in to their insensitivities...keep pushing until you get to the bottom of this....who is doing this with you?  Please do keep us posted...we are here for you.
Peace.
dian
I agree, you are the only on in charge of your health, if you don't take care of you, no one else will.

I did have a girlfriend how had a dermoid cyst surgically popped, (the doc was suppose to bag and collect the contents), but he just popped it and let the contents spill into her. She spent about 6-8 months getting sicker and sicker and more and more painful. I finally got her into my ob/gyn and it turned out she was toxic and was on the verge of MAJOR trouble, she was rushed to surgery that very day.

Trust your instincts. If you feel bad, get to the doc. Push for them to look deeper into the issue.
What kind of cyst was it?  Were you followed other than being on BC, like did you have repeat ultra sounds?
I think you do need to push for answers.  I'm sorry I can't help you with any medical experience or insight.
Good luck.
Thanks for the support and taking the time to post a reply.

It's me again. I have had in the last year; 4 Ultrasounds, 2 Transvaginal Ultrasounds, 2 CT Scans and 1 Sigmoidoscopy.

They told me it was a functional cyst with clear fluid.

Of course I have KAISER! ALso, when I had my last child I had to have a c-section and they left a laprascopic sponge in my abdomen. It took them 8 weeks with a bulge in my tummy(which they kept telling me was my uterus) before they did an x-ray to see the problem. So, I know I probably have scar tissue from those surguries.

I really feel that when my cyst ruptured something wrong happened. My instinct tells that things are stuck together in there. Either from adhesions or maybe the husk of the cyst never went away and attached on to other things like my bowel.

I was just hoping that someone would be able to tell me that they've had similar circumstances. I am so frustrated. My GYN asked me if I wanted surgery in the beginning of all this, but my trust with Kaiser is minimal and I have a big fear of surgery with them. The only reason I kept with Kaiser is that I had a feeling that something would go wrong from their mistake and if it did, they would need to fix me for free.

I guess my next move is to get aggresive (aggressive) with them and insist that they do a Laprascopic exam to see what is wrong inside, but this thought makes me sick. I have 2 kids; 2 and 4 and I just don't have time for all this pain. Thanks for listening and for your well wishes.

I also have been reading the symptoms of ovarian cancer and I seem to have all of them. This makes me worry. If they claim the cyst is gone, is there still a chance that it could be cancer?

Lisa
The symptoms of ovarian cancer and ovarian cyst mirror eachother...no real difference in symptoms. You are correct when yu say you need to "get agressive" and "insist"....go get 'em girl! I know it is tough being away from small children, but they will be happier whan mom isn't in pain all the time
Peace.dian
Yes, I am finding out that many of these symptoms are the same for a LOT of different conditions, but it is always best to pursue it to the end to get the correct diagnosis--then you can quit worrying and enjoy your kids!!
Hi Lisa. I too have had ovarian cysts. During my last pregnancy in 2005, I had severe pains in my right side and the doc kept telling me that it was my ligaments. After my daughters birth (c-section) the pain continued. I went back to him and he said that it was possible that it was related to my bowel movements. Well more than a year later and I still experience pain and now it is in my hip.
I was told after two years . When I delayed going in for my regular check up. That the three previous ultrasounds were (first one small next one doubled third one all gone) what they failed to tell me was that I had a cyst now after two years they tell me and are sending me for an ultrasound, and a trans vaginal ultra sound (what the heck is that . No one explained it to me I just noticed it on the paper work. Can someone tell me what I'm in for on the transvaginal ultrasound part.????????  I haven't been in pain or anything and I am post menopausal.
Forgot to mention the first next and third wer not cysts they were checking out my fibroids.
When I was first married, (15 yrs ago) I had to be run to the ER, finding out I had some ovarian cysts that ruptured.  That was the worst and most sudden sharp pain I have ever felt.  After many years of visiting OBgyns.  Having my paps done, my bowels checked thoroughly, and once even being told it might be in my head, I finally was surgically opened and I was found to have ENDOMYTRIOSIS all through the lower cavity of my body and in particular behind and below the Uterus.  So, for the me, 3 mos on, 1 mos off and its been working quite well.  
A transvaginal ultrasound requires you to drink a lot of water and then they use an ultrasound rod which is inserted just a little into your vaginal cavity.  On a computer screen they can then get a clear view of your reproductive area.  
I went to the hospital with all the above symptoms as in all the written comments above. The only thing I had different was servere lower back pain, the pain in the front went right through to my back, ANYONE know if this is normal in a ruptured cyst? Still don't know whats wrong. Just came back from hospital..
I know it's way past the last entry however, I am an RN who just recently had an ovarian cyst rupture.  Talk about pain!  One complication with ruptured cysts is peritonitis or infection secondary to rupture.  My rupture happened 5 days ago and I still have pain.  Things to watch for are fever, chills, low energy.  (flu like symptoms).  I also had an ileus diagnosed with my ruptured cyst. (this is when the bowels slow or halt--severe constipation which can cause blockage).  I have been searching the web looking for any info to connect the two-- anyone have info on this?
Last week i experienced sudden PAIN so bad that i could not stand up straight. After going to the hospital i was allowed to see both a Physician's assistant and an intern, BUT NO REAL DOCTOR. I am still in pain after a month and the intern took me off the antibiotics the PA put me on. now i am bleeding when i am not supposed to be (i am on the pill) and in pain all over again. I do not want to take pain pills. I want this to end! What should I do? i have tried to switch hospitals but the process is forever long and I wish someone would take me seriously and help me out. I am off to school after this break to contiune my Jr. Year of college and cannot afford this pain!
This is a very old post.  You will likely get better info if you start a new thread in a more appropriate forum.  This one deals strictly with ovarian cancer which you very likely do not have.
A related discussion, What do I do!? was started.