Ovarian Cancer Community
SURVEY: Tooth/Gum Problems Prior to Ovarian Cancer Diagnosis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

I've been doing some reading and found that quite a few cancers are influenced from bacteria in the mouth (e.g. colon, prostate, etc.).  I'm curious to find out how many of you had any mouth work done (teeth, etc.) prior to diagnosis?  Looking back, my mom had nothing but problems a year prior to her diagnosis after work down on her crown work.  
WOW!! Very interesting though I have not had any problems with my teeth. Hmmm...
Ashley had braces installed and oral surgery to pull a tooth down 8 months prior to diagnosis.
My mom had crown work and another tooth issue prior to her diagnosis.

Karen
I did not have problems, but many years ago my best friend was dx with leukemia after having dental work done. A tooth had been pulled and never healed. During follow up it was discovered that he had leukemia and he passed away several months later.
  I have never been able to get that out of my mind and was always afraid of the dentist for just that reason.
  Chris
I had a soft tissue graft (gum surgery-they took from the roof of my mouth and put it on my upper gums) four years prior to cancer dx.....kinda far away from my dx, but I did have it done......I was told that my gum recession was not due to gum disease, but rather to the fact that I brushed too hard and too much. This is very interesting to me, though.

Glenda
My teeth had never been a problem until a couple years prior to diagnosis.  In that short time I had 3 crowns in the back, 3 in the front for cosmetic reasons and a few gum infections requiring antibiotics.  Also have had extreme tooth sensitivity to heat and cold since then.  My mom had all of her remaining top teeth pulled and got false teeth a few years prior to her death from ovca.  Interesting, Alan.  Marie
Thanks ladies!  Yeah, the research just isn't there for this...but there is some. I even read one article where the writer believes it is a result of 'nano' viruses that our immune system cannot see (but with technology we are able to see them) that may be the issue.  I recall many things now that seemed like an infection as well (she had a rash/bumps around her abdomen) and everyone just chalked it up to an infection....perhaps it was and perhaps that intermingled with the immune system to do this.  Hopefully some researchers will hop on this bandwagon!
I had three crowns....and lots of gum bleeding prior to dx.  Then after one of the crowns was loose..infected... face swelled on that side double what It should have been, they pulled that tooth.....about 6 months after dx.   Now my gums do not bleed....Maybe coincidence...Maybe not.  This is very interesting....Dawnlyn
My gums used to bleed alot too.  Stopped after ovca surgery.  Marie
w0w this is sp00ky ... i vow to drink milk 4 times a day
i had a crown in one tooth a second tooth also need one
and a wisdom tooth pulled then i became infertil then
finally OVCA ,,, i will brush the kids teeth for them ... thanx for sharing
love
sharon