Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Seroma

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Seroma
Hi, I had my last ovary removed on 6/17.  It had a grapefruit size benign mass also removed.  At my 2 week appt, my surgeon said that I had a seroma.  I can see the bulging incision line and i have a lump under the incision.  When I put any kind of pressure on my stomach, the pain radiates to the lump so I am assuming that is the seroma.  My question is do all seromas need to be drained?  And if so how often?  I had my surgery at UCSF and live 2 1/2 hours away.  And will this delay my recovery at all?  In the last 3 years, I have had to have a TAH, mastectomy, reconstruction, Inclusion cyst drained and now this.  I am only 42 and need to return to work as soon as i can.  Thank you in advance!!
HI There
a seroma means a collection of sterile blister type fluid.
sometimes, you can just leave them alone and they will slowly resolve.But sometimes, they can get infected and need to be drained.
fever, redness, and pain can be signs of infection.
it may delay your recovery.
You should ask your surgeon what is the next step based on the physical exam, and blood count
I hope everything works out. It is hard being out of work
take care
Chemotherapy Tracker
Chemotherapy Tracker
Ovulation Tracker
Ovulation Tracker