Ovarian Cancer Community
Severe hip pain prior to period starting

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Hi all,

I posted a couple of weeks ago after getting the summary of my transvag results. (There are apparently no remarkable cysts.) The radiologist suggested at the time of my tvus that endometriosis or fibroids might be responsible for my LRQ pelvic pains. I know that since I apparently don't even have any cysts this might not be the right forum for my question, but since you have all been through pelvic pain you might have some ideas for me.

Last month I had fairly severe hip pain prior to my period starting, and yesterday it was so painful that I was unable to stand at work for more than 15 minutes (much worse than last month). I think if it continues to worsen I won't be able to work at all the week prior to my periods. I'm applying for full time jobs for the summer and really concerned that I need to get this taken care of one way or another before the end of April.

I'm not being seen for a followup by my gynecologist. So I don't know what to do.

jjsmama

The paths that got us here are most likely different, but I am curious about your situation as I am having a similar issue regarding pain in the left hip area. We have ruled out problems due to the colon as I just had a colonoscopy, and the Orthopedic doctor said that my bones looked "pristine" but he did say that if I am able to rule other problems out, he would do an exam involving shooting novacaine into the hip bone and then a dye to see what the problem is, or if it is coming from that area. He said that if I got instant relief after the novacaine then that would indicate the problem is indeed in the hip.

I had a total hysterectomy in 2000 so I have no ovaries, but this feeling is similar to what the pain was like when I had my cyst for more than six months.

I just had a CT scan today and they did come back and take extra pictures of the kidney....I will let you know if any of this turns out to be gyn related (as in the rare chance it could be Ovarian Remnant Syndrome)....I hate not knowing where the pain is coming from. I thought it was a surgical adhesion at first and if  you have had previous surgeries then this is a possibility. I can give you some tips on reducing the pain and the adhesions if  you think this is the case. I suggest you check in with an OB/GYN, too.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful. I wish you the best and hope that  you feel better soon!

Mary
I just got to thinking about my response. My pain is more in the groin area but considering the doctor who checked my bones was wondering if it was related to the hip area, well, I guess anything is possible....

Again, good luck.

Mary
I had very similar pains. The pains would follow my period and I would get pain in my ground and down my left leg also down my back and I always had to urinate. Severe to the point that no meds would help even narcotics. I was diagnosed with endometreosis stage 3 but there was also a mass in my Uterus which was made up of fibroid tissue and adenomyosis which is endometreosis in the wall of your Uterus. Before I was diagnosed which took many Dr.s and tests almost a year mind you I had the novacain shots in my hip i had 3 and it did not help at all we were ruling out nerve pain. i had my surgery 2/07 he removed only the mass in my Uterus and endometreosis which was around my colon and bladder. So far so good I have not had any pain it has been 8wks. Also if you had a cat or MRI another sign of adenomyosis is an enlarged Uterus and heavy periods. Hope that helps :)