Ovarian Cancer Community
Severe pain where ovary was removed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Severe pain where ovary was removed

In April I had my ovary and tube removed on the right side due to good sized complex cyst.  Once this was found...I had many UA tests done, at least 10 -15 and all of them show traces of blood in my urine.  I have had meds for UTI and other tests, but still no finding on why this keeps showing up.  I have severe pain in my right area where the ovary and tube were removed when I have a cycle.  The reason this was found was due to me having pain in that area.  I now have pains that are much harder to deal with.  I went to the hospital the beginning of this month while I had the pains to see if they could help me see what is going on.  They did some CT's and blood work, but no ultra sound.  I don't know what is going on.  It seems that things are getting worse instead of better.  I am worried about the blood being found in my urine tests...every one I take.  I don't know if I have endometriosis and that is causing my pain, or what is going on.  I am just trying to deal with it the best I can but it can be difficult.  Does anyone have any idea on what I should do next?  I have been to the urologist and that got me no where.  It was said that maybe I should see a gasstrologist.   I don't know anymore.  I feel like I just have to deal with pain every month.  Any advice would be great!
I cant comment on the blood in the urine but the pain where the ovary should be is totally normal - phantom pain. I had mine removed almost a year and a half ago and I still get severe pain in that area especially on my period. Ive had normal scans since and there is nothing wrong. I recently read an article though that explains the phenomina by drawing an analogy with limb removal. People who have had limbs removed can still feel pain in those areas due to the nerve endings. Baring in mind when you feel pain you dont actually feel it in that area its the pain signals that send messages to the brain. I remember reading - years ago - about one woman suffering from an itchy foot despite the fact her entire leg was removed. I just laugh it off now I know its normal and say oh here we go ive got a pain in my space. When I had my recent scan I said to my hubby see that big black space thats where the pain is : s I think often pain is worse when we are worried about the cause of it. As soon as we realise its normal it suddenly becomes less important.

Anna X
have they ever checked you for kidney or bladder stones?  these cause blood in the urine and also pain.
can this pain also be scar tissue/adhession??
Scar tissue and adhesions can cause this kind of pain as can kidney stones. It sounds as if they probably ruled out the kidney stones in the ER. It is the first thought when there is blood in the urine. Unless you are losing enough blood to be anemic I think you probably have nothing to worry about. I have had positive blood in my urine for as long as I can remember. I think that once you get to the root of the issue with the blood you might feel a lot better but truth be said you may never know.
As for the pain I would reccommend that you try some meditation, deep breathing, motrin, hot pads, and light exercise such as yoga or stretching and walking at the time of your period to see if that helps. If you are still worried you can request that your OB/GYN order an ultrasound for you and see what she has to say,