Ovarian Cancer Community
Shingles

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Shingles

I was diagnosed  with Stage IIIC ovca in April 2004.  CA 125 has remained in single digits since end of
chemo.  Was just diagnosed with mild case of shingles.  After reading other posts I am so scared.
Has anyone had shingles and not had a recurrence?  How bad were shingles that you got?  Where
were they located?
Thank you!!!!

This discussion is related to CIS Platin to Gemzar and a CA 125 spike.
Just me again..no symptoms, VERY stressful week before breakout.
Have had shingles 3 times now, once during my chemo treatment. It had nothing to do with my cancer, as I am in Ned. Sorry you have to deal with the shingles. As far as I am aware..Shingles stays in spinal fluid after childhood chicken pox, I was told I did not have a severe enough case of the "pox" to clear it out entirely. Stress only makes it worse, so I hope you can relax.
   As to where my shingles occured? once around rib cage, and twice around shoulder, and down my arm.
best of luck
butterflytc
There's a vaccine out now for shingles.  I have a prescription from the doctor, and the vaccine is commonly given at grocery store and drug store pharmacies.   We should all be getting it to avoid shingles.  I hope I don't procrastinate until I get them.  

By the way, the doctor gave my husband a prescription for the vaccine, too, and he had the shingles a few years ago.  
Were these shingles episodes after being diagnosed with ovarian cancer?  Once during chemo and???  Thank you...you are truly helping me.
No my first two bouts were pre-diagnosis, the third was at 5th chemo treatment. Thank God no attacks since then (ended chemo 4 yrs ago, this week)
  Good luck
Oh..that is what scares me....how close to diagnosis?  I will be 5 years out of chemo in August..other than the shingles, I feel fine.  
Ask your doctor, of course, but as far as I know shingles has nothing whatsoever to do with ovarian cancer.  
Hi...how soon before diagnosis did you get the first 2 shingles outbreaks?  thanks much!
gemmie,
   Try not to worry as shingles does not have anything to do with recurrence. Shingles are a form of the chickenpox virus that lay dormant in your body after contacting chicken pox. Some people go their whole lives without ever having them and others get them over and over. When they happen they will normally run the length of a major nerve in your body as the nerves are where they lay dormant. Stress can cause an outbreak as can a lowered immune system.
  I have been on chemo for 3 1/2 years and they figure that is why I broke out with them last year. And of all places I had them on one side of my face. I took acyclovir for them and they gradually disappeared. But then a week later they started back up. So now I am on acyclovir daily to keep them from coming back. So far it has worked. Try not to worry. If everything else looks ok then it was probably stress related.
    Chris
Gemme,
Your being in your fifth year of OVCA is wonderful!! Please complete your Profile and hang around here now.  What you have been through and the knowledge of it can be very helpful to many of us battling the same war against Ovarian Cancer.  

EVERYONE needs to complete their PROFILES, btw.
Teresa