Ovarian Cancer Expert Forum
Should I Be Worried???
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding ovarian cancer issues, such as: Biopsy, Chemotherapy, Clinical Trials, Genetics, Hysterectomy, Immunotherapy, Ovarian Cancer Types, Radiation Therapy, Risk Factors, Screening, Staging, Surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Should I Be Worried???

After an ultrasound of the pelvic (internal and external) I found out about a week ago that I have a 4.2 x 1.8 x 1.5 complex right adnexal cystic structure on my right ovary with no free fluid in the cul-de-sac.  I had a partial hysterectomy about 18 years ago because of endometreosis and heavy periods. All they left were my ovaries. I am 54 years old and am post menopausal.  My maternal grandma had ovarian cancer and my maternal aunt had breast cancer with one or both removed. I do not have a lot of the symtoms (symptoms) such as bloated stomach, lots of pain.  I do have fatigue, nauseau, very minimal pain on the right side and lots of pain during intercourse.

I am waiting for the results of my CA-125 blood test.  Do I need to be worried?  Are my chances high for ovarian cancer? Should I get a second opinion?  

I have been reading up on this and am so confused.  Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Debi .
242604_tn?1328124825
Hi There,
thank you for your complete information. I know that this is a tremendously anxiety provoking situation.

I would recommend the following:

if your CA 125 is normal:
if you need a surgery to remove both your tubes and ovaries because: you have a cyst, a family history of cancer, and a history of endometriosis which can be associated with malignant transformation .
after surgery, you should see a genetic counselor for a discussion about BRCA 1 and BRCA 2 gene mutation testing
women with these mutations have a high risk of breast and ovarian cancer (but your ovaries will have been removed) so require more intensive brast cancer screening

if your CA 125 is elevated, you need to see a gyn oncologist for your surgery. An elevated CA 125 does not automatically mean the cyst is malignant, but having a surgeon with cancer surgery skills is important just in case it is.
I usually get a CT scan preoperatively
please let us know what happens
take care
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Chemotherapy Tracker
Chemotherapy Tracker
Start Tracking Now