Ovarian Cancer Community
Sick of pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Sick of pain

hi, I'd appreciate it if someone can give some advice about my conditions, I had pain on my lower abdomen and back (mostly left, pelvic) for two or three months in 2005 and again in late  2006 (until now), i had urine and stool tests, 2 ultrasounds and x-rays, all normal except the left ovary, it was not seen, also in nov 2006 i started having upper abdominal pain (mostly left side)that goes to the back, my stomach feels bloated and tight, the internal med doctor ordered ct scan, upper GI, and ultrasound of upper abdomen, again all normal, in the ct scan my left overy was not seen again, the last doctor I saw was a gastro specialist, he me made take colonoscopy, again normal, i was given medicines and said to come back after two weeks, medicines don't seem to work, i dont know what to do next or where to go, i can't eat well beause of pain and feeling of bloating in upper abdomen, left pelvic area also still in pain, i've lost weight and started to feel weak, does anyone have the same problem as mine? i'd appreciate your opinion and advice, thank you  
I am so sorry to hear about the pain you are experiencing.  Perhaps you should post your question in the "Urogynecology Forum" (http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Urogynecology/wwwboard.html) Maybe he can help?
Hello, and I too, am sorry to hear about your discomfort and pain. Something is obviously not right, so maybe you need to seek another opinion? It may not have any connection to what you are having to tolerate, but I also had a colonoscopy which showed negative, but I was told 3 months later that I had Ovarian cancer, and the tumour was working on the outside of the bowel, so nothing showed inside when I had the colonoscopy. Just thought I would mention this... not to scare you, but just to make you aware that sometimes these tests don't show what could be there.
I hope you will soon get some answers sooner, rather than later.
Best wishes and hugs....Helmar...
Hello Liza...if you were my daughter I would visit your gyn with you and insist he order a trans vaginal ultrasount...hopefully you would find out what is going on in your pelvis and what your "missing" ovary is up to....pain is a symptom telling you something is not right....pain is never a good sign....please become more assertive and get a trans vaginal ultrasound as soon as possible.  Don't let these guys pat you on top of your head and tell you nothing is wrong....something is not right and you must keep pushing until someone figures it out....no more mister nice guy! Take control of the situation...they work for you...it's not the other way around!  Please do stay in touch....
Peace.
dian
hi there.I had similar symptoms and my left ovary could not be seen on both of my abdominal scans so a vaginal had to be done. She (the tech)had to probe very deeply on the left to find the ovary(very painful too)after my second scan i was secheduled for surgical removal of both ovaries withinn 8 days. It was found that the bowel was wrapped round the ovary and that the ovary was stuck to the bladder.This caused all my constant pain. Maybe there is somthing similar happening to you.I was told that somtimes the bowel can hide the ovary. I am surprised that seeing as they can not see the left ovary they have not tried other options. Try posting to Dr Goodman,she gave me very sound advice when i needed it.Good luck i know how much constant pain can get you down but try to stay positive and listen to you instinct.Dawn
I cannot say this enough, listen to your body.  You alone know what you are feeling.  Ask for a baseline CA125.  It does not confirm anything, but it may identify something that may need to be addressed.

Before I was diagnoised with ovarian cancer I was having pain and feeling crappy almost all the time.  All blood tests were OK.  The doctors never suggested and I never asked for a CA125, I thought about it but did not ask.  When the Transvaginal ultrasound picked up a cyst on the left ovary.  I asked for the CA125.  I knew something was very wrong because of the constant pain I was experiencing even before the Ultrasound.  

Last January with my recurrence I tried telling my doctor about the pain again.  He listened and suggested I see a Gastro Dr.  He said pain is not associated with this disease.  Previous CT scan looked OK, and the physical exam showed nothing.  I asked for another CA125.  It was elevated past 200.  This time I went to see another GYN/ONC in NY.  long story short he did surgery and removed 14 small tumors.  The larger of all was on the bowel where I was having the most pain.  If I had not listened to my inner self, the surgery may have consisted of a bowel reconstruction.  I also found a Doctor that I refer to as my guardian angel.  He is truly a kind person with a bedside manner that I can only describe as compassionate.  

remember.........You are you own best advocate, always
Out of all the tests the common factor is they cannot see the left ovary and your pain is mainly on the left side right? Find a good gyno/onc with his or her's own ultrasound machine so they can see for themselves. if you are in pain there is something there do not let these Dr's push you off. Be demanding. I am not a fan of radiology centers. I have had ulrasounds at centers that said were normal and when i found a dr that does his own he found a mass in the wall of my uterus. Good luck:)