Ovarian Cancer Community
Side effects of ovary removal

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Side effects of ovary removal

In october last year i had one of my ovaries removed CA125 was nomal but had a large cyst.
Since then life hasn't been the same, one minute tears, next laughing, am only getting a period every other month.
has anyone else had the same symptons
Since no one has posted for you yet, I'll TRY to give a little advice. I don't have your symptoms...I had a full hysterectomy with my tumor removal.....It sounds, however, that your hormones are out of whack. The best advice I can give is for you to make a gynocologist appointment. From what I know (and that's not a lot), I think you should get your period every month even with one ovary removed (your body compensates). The emotional issues (crying/laughing jags and such) sound a lot like someone going through menopause. Of course, you are Not going through menopause. Therefore, I think you really need to give the doc a call. That's the only way to get to the bottom of this. Oh, I just happened to think.....are you old enough to be going through menopause? That would explain some of your isssues. Anyway, hope I was of a little help. Take care, and call your doctor.

Hugs,
Shari
I'm going to "second" Shari on this. So much depends on your age. Years ago I had many friends that had only 1 ovary removed and it was my understanding that the other one does compensate. I don't recall hearing any of them having the problems you are experiencing. However, if you are anywhere near Menopause, that may significantly change things.. Is this the case?

I believe a simple blood test can tell what your hormones are up to.. I remember getting those (blood tests) when nearing menopause.. But , def. talk to your doctor.. preferably your Gyn...

Luck,
Sandy
I agree, it sounds like your hormones may be out of whack. But I don't agree that the blood tests will show whether you're headed for menopause. I kept telling my doctor about my changes in monthlies, emotions, hot flashes, insomnia. I was sure I was headed for menopause. She kept doing the blood tests and told me I was doing just fine, no changes. One visit I assured her I was getting close, blood work said I was normal. Within that year I had my last period. I wonder if the blood test only works during certain times of the crazy cycles during perimenopause. Anyway, it's a good idea to check with your doctor.
Avatar n tn
hi
thank you for your replies,  I am 38 so not really near the age for menupause,

went to the gp and all she did was recommend prozac,  Have an appoint with gyni guy for 4 weeks timne so hopefully will get some answers,

many thank