Ovarian Cancer Community
Signs of Recurrence
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Signs of Recurrence

What were your signs of recurrence?

I am 3 years post treatment, a long remission. I have been having some vague pain in the pelvic area, and had some urinary frequency for a few days, seems to be getting better. But still, there are some twinges in several spots, including on top of my pubic bone. As it so happened, I had my check-up yesterday. The tumor marker is good and within my normal range (9-14), and he couldn't feel anything but ordered a CT scan - will have it Wednesday.

I guess the tumor marker is not always preceding recurrence? It was always a good indicator for me - 1000 at time of diagnosis, dropping to 70 after first treatment and to below 35 after the second treatment and staying there for three years.

I am worried. I feel that the longer I am clean of the signs of cancer, the more likely it is that I will be struck down at any appointment. It's such a crazy disease to live with it.
Related Discussions
2 Comments
Blank
349465_tn?1289085364
It is wonderful to hear about a three year remission!  As far as catching a recurrence goes, it can be many things that lead a doctor to suspect one.  It sounds as if your doctor is on top of it.  Mine was discovered by a CT Scan.  I see that you are having one next week. Try not to worry.  Let us know what results you get from the CT. I hope you will not have to go through all of it again.  But, it sounds as if your cancer is very receptive to the chemo treatments. That is a good thing!
Teresa
Blank
415684_tn?1257332918
It is so wonderful your CA has stayed low over these past years.  My CA started to rise after a month post treatment and it went up then put on tamoxifen and it went down and that stopped working and it went up .. bits at a time until it hit 105 this month.  The roller coaster has kept me out of chemo for over 2 years.  This past PET/CT showed some spots and the CA had a 25 point jump .. so I am able to start Carboplatin with Taxotere on Monday since I had the long transmission.  I now OH SO WELL the feeling of a weight hanging over your head while in "remission".  I don't think our family and friends "get it" ... but I kept waiting for this to happen.  I am, however, not relieved that it has come to this, just hopeful I can pull off another couple of years.  

The fact that your CA has stayed low bodes very well for a good CA125.  (My MD prefers PET/CT).

Good luck and keep us posted.

Judy
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ovarian Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank