Ovarian Cancer Community
Signs of Recurrence

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Signs of Recurrence

What were your signs of recurrence?

I am 3 years post treatment, a long remission. I have been having some vague pain in the pelvic area, and had some urinary frequency for a few days, seems to be getting better. But still, there are some twinges in several spots, including on top of my pubic bone. As it so happened, I had my check-up yesterday. The tumor marker is good and within my normal range (9-14), and he couldn't feel anything but ordered a CT scan - will have it Wednesday.

I guess the tumor marker is not always preceding recurrence? It was always a good indicator for me - 1000 at time of diagnosis, dropping to 70 after first treatment and to below 35 after the second treatment and staying there for three years.

I am worried. I feel that the longer I am clean of the signs of cancer, the more likely it is that I will be struck down at any appointment. It's such a crazy disease to live with it.
It is wonderful to hear about a three year remission!  As far as catching a recurrence goes, it can be many things that lead a doctor to suspect one.  It sounds as if your doctor is on top of it.  Mine was discovered by a CT Scan.  I see that you are having one next week. Try not to worry.  Let us know what results you get from the CT. I hope you will not have to go through all of it again.  But, it sounds as if your cancer is very receptive to the chemo treatments. That is a good thing!
Teresa
It is so wonderful your CA has stayed low over these past years.  My CA started to rise after a month post treatment and it went up then put on tamoxifen and it went down and that stopped working and it went up .. bits at a time until it hit 105 this month.  The roller coaster has kept me out of chemo for over 2 years.  This past PET/CT showed some spots and the CA had a 25 point jump .. so I am able to start Carboplatin with Taxotere on Monday since I had the long transmission.  I now OH SO WELL the feeling of a weight hanging over your head while in "remission".  I don't think our family and friends "get it" ... but I kept waiting for this to happen.  I am, however, not relieved that it has come to this, just hopeful I can pull off another couple of years.  

The fact that your CA has stayed low bodes very well for a good CA125.  (My MD prefers PET/CT).

Good luck and keep us posted.

Judy