Ovarian Cancer Community
Small Bowel Obstruction after Hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Hello Everyone,

I posted a while ago regarding my mothers complications after surgery. I just wanted to update the list. She is doing well after 1 week of being very ill due to a small bowel obstruction from her hysterectomy and oophrectomy. Initially after her surgery, she seemed to be doing well but she wasn't able to hold down food and started puking green bile.

They inserted a nasalgastic tube (NGT) that went through her nose into her throat and into her stomach area where all this bile was sucked out. She had this for 6 days and everyday she had xrays to check the progress. Her abdomen was so distended and bloated. The  NGT is suppose to relieve the pressure and bile/mucus build-up, and we were told by the MD that this usually helps enough that exploratory surgery is not needed. I later found literature that listed about 9% of patients undergoing abdominal surgeries have complications to their bowels and out of these, about 87% recover after having a NGT insertion. I also learned that usually within 6 days the patients condition gets better and if not than exploratory surgery is done to find/fit the problem.

We are so relieved that my mom was one of the lucky ones. Her condition improved on the 6th day of having the NGT in her. I just wanted to share this info with everyone,as I know when we were going through this with my mom I couldn't find encouraging experiences out there. Although one person from this site wrote to tell me of her similiar experience with having NGT.

Hope our experience can help others. Aloha, Elaine from Hawaii
Aloha!! So glad that you are able to share such good news!!!!  I am so happy for your mom.  Now she can continue to get better.  You and your mom are in my thoughts and prayers.  Godspeed
~Tascha
I am so glad that your mom is doing better.  I have been wondering about you and your mom. I am happy that your mom did not have to go through another srugery.  I pray that things continue to go well with both of you.  Kasie