Ovarian Cancer Community
Solid, growing mass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Solid, growing mass

I know no one can diagnose me, not looking for that. I'm just looking for any similar experiences. I am 33 and premenopausal first of all. I have a history of cysts, I had 2 removed when I was 16 and its been continuous since then but never any malignancy. They're typically functional cysts. I have had two normal pregnancies.

I went to my dr with pain 2 months ago - bloating, feeling tired, pain during and after sex and random cramping and aching throughout my cycle. They did an US and found a complex cyst with blood flow approx 1.9x1.2x.8cm. Because it was small, they wanted to re-evaluate. It is now 8 weeks later. My US report (same radiologist) now says I have a solid hyperechoic lesion that is 3.2x2.2x2.9cm - in the report the radiologist says this is the same lesion. Still fairly small as far as cysts go but almost doubled in size in two months. There is free fluid in my abdomen. In addition, I have an enlarged uterus, a thickened endometrial lining (20mm) and a persistent poorly marginalized solid mass that displaces the endometrium in my anterior uterus. The lining thickness did not change at all in the time period despite having two cycles.

My periods are fairly normal (very short but heavy and painful). My aunt had cervical cancer at 35 and now has breast and bladder cancer, my mother never ever goes to the dr. Breast and gynecological cancers run in my relatives but not sisters or mother yet. I haven't been tested for the gene or gotten any blood tests done for cancer markings. My last CBC was normal.

So just looking for like experiences. I am being referred to a gyno, I assume she'll do a laparoscopy since its a solid mass. Will I pry be facing a biopsy of my uterine lining as well? I'm done having kids, if they want to yank it all out I'm ok with that but I would hate to go through chemo. I'm in nursing school and have young kids.
what about a 2nd opinion????  Solid does not mean that it is malignant.  Most masses, solid or not are benign.  Ov Ca is a very rare disease.

Good thing you are seeing a GYN....and if necessary ask for a referal to a GYN/Oncologist.....no it does not mean that you had cancer....GYN/Oncologists treat many benign conditions, they are the experts with 3 years additional training.

Why are you even thinking about chemo????   No need to go there, you are getting yourself all worked up and upset over what could be just cysts.  Also, I understand that there was a 2 month break, but, was it during the "same" point of your cycle?  
The most important thing is that you are being checked out by a professional and if anything it is caught early and treatable. They may do laparoscopy but they may want to open you up and do exploratory surgery since you have free fluid in your stomach. Don't worry until you get the results. You can't do anything about it and worrying itself doesn't help. You must take  care of this as soon as possible so that you can recover quickly and care of your kids. I went through this and my HUGE mass was cancerous but it was caught in an early stage and chemo wasn't needed for now. Good luck and sending prayers for you!
Thanks for the answers. I have a GYN appt set up for July 1st. The fact that they weren't super eager to get me in already makes me feel better. I am not freaking out, just thinking of possibilities - I like to consider all possible outcomes - its just how I am.

The scans were done in the same part of my cycle - exactly four days before my period with two full cycles between. Maybe they'll do another ultrasound when I go in to see the gyn to see if anything's changed. In the meantime, I'm trying not to worry about it - especially since I'm also nursing a sprained ankle and fractured toe. One day at a time...