Ovarian Cancer Community
Solid Lesion found on my left ovary, appt on fri. but i have questions ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to ovarian cancer, biopsy, chemotherapy, clinical trials, genetics, hysterectomy, immunotherapy, radiation therapy, screening, and staging.

Solid Lesion found on my left ovary, appt on fri. but i have questions now.

I went to the Doc in April complaining of a sore back.  My lower back was in constaint pain.  I came back 5 weeks ago still with back pain but now with concerns of an ovarian cyst.  I was convinced that i had one because of the pain i was experiencing during sex and the radiating pain on my lower left side.  The CT confirmed a cyst and said i had to do a sonogram to really tell anything.  I had a sonogram on Monday, my doc's office call the next morning saying that this could be critical, there is a solid lesion on my left ovary and i need to see a gyn asap.  The report went from a possible cyst to a lesion...which scares me.  

By the way, The vaginal ultrasound was extremely painful...ps i dont know why so many web sites claim they arent mine was!  Anyways i'm concerned bc as the woman was probing she would lite up the monitor and a few times i though i saw color in the black "mass", and i know that that means blood. I'm scared that this mass has recruited blood vessels and is already almost 3 cm.   What do you think about this? Should i be nervous.  I'm not really that nervous but i think i'm ina bit of shock....i mean i'm only 24 can this really be happening to me?  But to tell you the truth i won't be surprised if it is something serious..i'm prepared for that.  Mainly i think this bc i just don't feel right.  I realise this is ambigous, but i cant explain this, i lack energy, i'm in pain, and i'm moody...just not me...Please help.
i know they say vaginal ultrasounds are not painful but mine was as well. It got to the point where the radiologist asked me if i wanted her to stop.The pain stayed with me for at least 3-4 days.I too had a ovarian cyst  and was in surgery 11 days later. I am waiting for results now. If you have your report why not ask dr goodman on the dr-patient forum for ovarian cancer or check through the other q to see if any are similar to yours. Best of luck Dawn
Hi there,
I also had a blood filled complex cyst about the size of an orange.  It was sent for biopsy and found to be endometriosis. I know it's scary not to know what is growing in our bodies. They call anything "extra" in there a mass and until they can get a look at it via laparoscopy surgery they cannot be sure just what it is.

Did your doctor talk with you about options?  Are they making you wait through another period?  My doctor saw mine with a vaginal ultrasound (mine was uncomfortable but not painful) and thought maybe it would go away after my next period. When I went back the following month it was bigger so we scheduled a surgery.

Keep us imformed!
Lori
I am a cancer survivor (thyroid) and had very similar ovarian problems as you.  I've had recurrent ovarian cysts with a huge one rupturing last year (the US showed over a liter of fluid and blood was released into my abdomen).  The vaginal ultrasound nearly killed me.  I swear the technician was trying to shift gears in an 18 wheeler!  I was screaming with pain.  

The cyst came back a few months later and in February of this year I finally had it removed (entire ovary too).  The ultrasound showed a huge amount of blood in the area, a new blood supply, and lesions.  Yeah, I thought I was looking at cancer.

What the doctor found was a huge hemorrhagic (blood filled) cyst the size of my fist completely surrounding my ovary.  The lesions were scar tissue from previous ruptured cysts.  I was sure that they were going to find ovarian cancer (my aunt died of it and I have already been through cancer) but I was shocked . . . there were NO malignancies.

My OB/GYN said this isn't that uncommon.  This was my fourth surgery for ovarian cysts (I had the other ovary removed 10 years ago for the same reason then two other laproscopic surgeries) and it wasn't until after this surgery I was told I had PCOS.

Anyway, my ultrasound results were VERY similar to yours - lesions, blood supply, pain, and all and I did NOT have ovarian cancer.  My problems started when I was 25 and finally resolved this year at age 39.

Don't panic too much.  Even very frightening ultrasound results don't necessarily mean the worst.

HANG IN THERE!!!
I must have had the gentlest person in the world do my TVUS's. It was icky because of all the gel she used, but not really painful unless she pressed up into the area where the cyst was.